Search Community

Club GSAP question

newguy123 test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Hi all

If I'm a Club GSAP member, and use one of the "paid" plugins, do I need to enter some API key into my dev code or anything to load the plugin? Or the membership only comes into play when installing the plugin via private npm and once its 'in' my dev project, it stays there and I can build the dev for dist without concerns that somebody could read my membership key and use it for their own purpose on their own sites?

• Solution

The token is solely for accessing the private NPM repo. And you don't even need to use the private NPM repo if you don't want to -  when you join Club GSAP, you can download a zip file that contains ES modules and UMD minified files and even a .tgz file that you can npm install locally. Lots of options! 

Our entire licensing model is based on the honor system and a simple number-of-developers pricing structure. You don't need to enter some API key for every site you use it on or anything like that. It's very simple, and we fully recognize that if someone really wants to steal the members-only plugins, they'll find a way. We also trust that most people want to do the right thing and honor the work of other developers. We aim to treat others the way we'd want to be treated and we believe that if we serve well, the market will recognize and reward that by joining Club GSAP eventually. 

And to be clear, if your membership expires, nothing will change on your client websites. We don’t inject “phone home” scripts to verify your license status. Functionality doesn’t suddenly stop upon expiration. Inspect the code for yourself if you’d like to verify (that’s why we provide the raw source code). 

Of course we ask that you not expose your token in a public repository, for example, or share the members-only plugins. 

In terms of deployment, yes, you can just include the GSAP files in the same way you would any of your other JS files. There's no authentication that happens on your live site or anything - GSAP is just a set of JavaScript files. 

Let us know if you have any other questions. Enjoy the tools!

• Like 1