Search Community

INSTALL ISSUES FOR CLUB: What is <CLUB-LEVEL>?

matthew_51216 test
Moderator Tag

Man, the install for gsap is rough.  It's my least favorite thing.  I feel like this should be copy and paste, but I always have issues.

I frequently get error 404s on old installs, even though .npmrc is filled out correctly.

Anyway, I see that npm:@gsap/shockingly seems to be no more?  They automatically switched my access to premium?

Here are the new instructions to install:

npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/<CLUB-LEVEL>

yarn add gsap@npm:@gsap/<CLUB-LEVEL>

What the heck?  No where does it mention what the club level codes are.  How are we supposed to know this syntax?  

So I see there are a few different plans they sell:

GSAP Plus

GSAP Premium

GSAP Business

Well none of those work.-So I tried a couple ways and there is nothing at all

yarn add gsap@npm:@gsap/GSAP Premiumyarn add gsap@npm:@gsap/premium

Anyone know how to install?  Pretty bummed I'm wasting my life writing this message on something that should take 5 seconds - but hoping it helps others.  Thank you.

EDIT:

I think the code is still called "shockingly". I might be wrong - since GSAP no longer uses the word shockingly on their site.  I also think people with business access need to use "business" .  Those might be the only two that work.

Please update your documentation, for the love of god

:)

Yikes, I'm so sorry about that, @matthew_51216! I can see why that'd seem pretty confusing.🤕

Some of this has to do with growing pains from the rebrand and rebuild of the entire site which was a massive undertaking for our small team.

Let me clarify a few things...

1. While we technically renamed Club levels from "Shockingly Green" > "Premium" and "Simply Green" > "Plus" because those seemed easier for people to understand, we did NOT suddenly make the private NPM @shockingly not function anymore because obviously that'd make a ton of repositories and build pipelines suddenly fail overnight. So we kept the old @shockingly and @simply for the private NPM stuff. 
  2. Our private NPM provider said that it was impossible to have @premium/@plus serve as aliases to @shockingly/@simply because of some kind of Yarn bug (Yarn has been just terrible for private repositories). So we had a choice to make: break Yarn installs or just keep @shockingly/@simply for the private NPM stuff, at least for now. We opted for greater compatibility and potentially some confusion about why Premium/Plus members were instructed to use @shockingly/@simply in the commands. Our NPM expert said he's working on a potential solution that'd make it possible to work around the Yarn issue, but he hasn't had any luck yet so we're still stuck with @shockingly/@simply. 
  3. When you go to the gsap.com/install page, it should automatically populate the correct package in the instructions for you - are you not experiencing that? Obviously you need to be logged in for that to work. 
  4. The "business" level never changed names. Only shockingly/simply changed to premium/plus. 

Where exactly are you seeing this?: npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/<CLUB-LEVEL>?The install page should be literally copy-paste, with your club level filled in, so I'm concerned that I'm missing something obvious. We definitely want to make it as easy as possible, like you said. 

6 hours ago, matthew_51216 said:

Anyway, I see that npm:@gsap/shockingly seems to be no more?  They automatically switched my access to premium?

Just to be crystal clear and reiterate what I said above, npm:@gsap/shockingly is still entirely valid. We did NOT automatically switch access to "premium". 

We (well, @Cassie) spent a TON of time on the /install page. It's way more challenging than you might think to accommodate all the different ways people want to be able to install the tools. I'm sure there's room for improvement, so thanks for the poke/suggestions. You've highlighted some pain points that I want to address. I'm still just a bit confused about why you weren't seeing the clear instructions you could copy/paste. I just noticed too that you don't appear to be a Club GSAP member at all. Were you using a different account? 

I do see that on a few pages in the learning center there isn't enough clarity on the package names, so we'll definitely get that updated. @Cassie has been hard at work on the docs for quite some time. 

Thanks for your patience and suggestions. 

• Like 1

Ah, yes, I was missing the obvious there - I assumed you were actually a Club GSAP member but you're not. We need to do a better job of clarifying that on that part of the page. 

So to be clear, you CANNOT access Club GSAP tools via the private repository because you're not a Club GSAP member. Once you sign up, you'd get proper access and that page would update to show you precisely the code you could copy/paste for installation. 

If you just want to try out the bonus plugins locally or on CodePen/CodeSandbox/Stackblitz, you can just use the "gsap-trial" package. Just don't deploy a project using that trial package. 

Thanks again, and we'll work on making that part of the installation page clearer soon.