Search Community

Playing an flv in reverse

jameshbgreen test
Moderator Tag

Nope, sorry, that's generally impossible in most video playback apps because of the way video compression and keyframes work. The only thing that might work is embedding a video in a MovieClip timeline and then doing a frame tween backwards, but the audio wouldn't work. And it's generally considered a poor practice to embed videos on a MovieClip timeline, so I'd avoid it if possible.

Another option is to just render an additional version of your video in reverse so that you can play it back that way - technically to Flash it would be playing forward, but to the users it would look backwards.

• 3 months later...
Nope, sorry, that's generally impossible in most video playback apps because of the way video compression and keyframes work. The only thing that might work is embedding a video in a MovieClip timeline and then doing a frame tween backwards, but the audio wouldn't work. And it's generally considered a poor practice to embed videos on a MovieClip timeline, so I'd avoid it if possible.

Another option is to just render an additional version of your video in reverse so that you can play it back that way - technically to Flash it would be playing forward, but to the users it would look backwards.

how would the coding look like for doing this? my clip is not including sound and ive been goin crazy trying to figure a way to do this process.

@kaleko what option are you referring to?

Either of GreenSock's suggestions will take a fair amount of experimenting and aren't really related to anything in loaderMax.

The first suggestion would be the easiest, but my experience has been that embedding video in MovieClips is really troublesome (adobe recommends against this) as it takes very long for your swf to compile and the playback quality / consistency is not good. If you would like to proceed with this option, checkout the frame plugin in the plugin explorer: http://www.tweenmax.com

as for option 2, you will need a moderate scripting background as you will be controlling 2 video sources and you will have to figure out how to switch between the two of them. Unless someone has a solution like this already working, its a bit much to try to figure out. you may get better assistance on a more general forum like the adobe flash forum http://forums.adobe.com/community/flash ... ns&start=0

Due to the nature of flvs, they aren't meant to play in reverse.