Search Community

Different of gsap-trial and gsap and how to use it in personal website

Charlie Peterpan test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by mvaneijgen,

Hi i'am a beginner new to GSAP, i'want to ask about the difference between package gsap and gsap-trial. so I'm now trying to create a portfolio website using NextJS-12 and want to add an animation on the scroll and try to use the ScrollSmoother library, when using gsap from npm I try to import "ScrollSmoother" from "gsap/dist/ScrollSmoother" but get an error that module not found, then I searched articles and some ScrollSmoother gsap projects for examples and found gsap-trial. when I try to import ScrollSmoother from the above path I don't get any error and the website works according to good results... but when I open the console in my browser I get a warning like the image below, can someone explain to me how to get the ScrollSmoother library it can be used on my website because as far as I know gsap-trial is running but if you see a warning from the image below it only runs locally and only certain domains... thank you :smile:

Screenshot 2023-07-13 193619.png

• Solution

Hi @Agil Junior welcome to the forum! 

Yes, GSAP allows you to use all of its paid tools locally and on sites like Codepen and StackBlitz, this is so you can test the waters and get a feel for if you like the tools to be used in your real project. If you do and you want to use the tools on your live website, you'll need to purchase a license! 

The SmoothScroll plugin is part of the ShockinglyGreen license and thus you'll have to buy that tier if you want to use that plugin in your live projects. Check out https://greensock.com/club/, which is also mentioned in the console message you get. 

There are a lot of free* tools you can use on your site like GSAP core and ScrollTrigger, but as stated SmoothScroll is a paid plugin. Hope it helps and happy tweening! 

*Read more how the license works https://greensock.com/licensing/

• Like 2