Search Community

Draggable image carousel horizontal scroll

dogzzz test
Moderator Tag

Hi,

Honestly I couldn't tell you about that, most likely they have some optimization script running somewhere but in my screen 1920x1080 this doesn't look too different from he images you're using in your codepen in terms of quality:

https://www.polestar.com/www-images/home-car-carousel/car-sequence/desktop/ps6-precept-ps3-my23ps2-ps1/000.jpg

Unfortunately this is beyond the scope of what we do around here as we must focus our efforts in GSAP related issues and this is mostly related to image quality and setup. Perhaps another user knows better ways to prep images, I normally use TinyPNG for optimizing my images. I know there are some Node packages that can automatize that task with large amounts of images, but that has never been a situation I've been on.

If you have any GSAP related questions, please let us know.

Happy Tweening!

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I've done a comparison video to show, the quality is noticeably different, I was wondering if anyone knew why or how to improve the quality? 

I like the way gsap draggable animates between the images but I need them to be higher quality. Not sure why the other package makes them so crisp and this one doesn't. The images are much larger than the canvas size so the images themselves aren't the problem.

Thank you 

I'm having a very difficult time noticing a difference in rendering quality. I've attached a screenshot. Are you saying that those two images look radically different to you? 

screenshot.png

There are obvious logic issues in your GSAP version in terms of interactivity, but I assume you're just asking about image quality here, right? 

Yeah if you look at this one its massive - it seems to render the placeholder fine but once you start scrolling its an issue - the gsap one is all pixelated versus the other one is crisp

On the logic issues ideally I'd like when you scroll that it doesn't go back to the first frame but it goes on from wherever you are but thats a separate issue yes!

Thank you

Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 16.30.14.webp

Sorry, I can't reproduce the pixelated behavior like that and I'm confident this has absolutely nothing to do with GSAP. Perhaps try: 

context.imageSmoothingEnabled = true;
context.imageSmoothingQuality = "high";
context.translate(0.5, 0.5);

It seems like an issue with the way you're rendering on the canvas.

You may want to try using an off-screen canvas to reduce the image to half:

// off-screen canvas: 
let osc = document.createElement('canvas'),
    osctx = osc.getContext('2d');
osc.width = img.width / 2;
osc.height = img.height / 2;

osctx.drawImage(img, 0, 0, osc.width, osc.height);

// drawing images reducing to half again and repeating it
context.drawImage(osc, 0, 0, osc.width / 2, osc.height / 2);

We really try to keep these forums focused on GSAP-specific questions (please read the forum guidelines), but let us know if/when you find the problem. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...