Search Community

Parent Child Opacity to be different

Ravi Variar test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Ravi Variar,

• Solution

Hi all:   I am fading out a div tag.  Next I would like to take an SVG element in the div and make it Opacity 1.  It seems this is not possible please advise.

It is a simple ask that this diagram fades back and I can then control each element  Opacity separately. 

t3.fromTo("#divsvg", { opacity: 1 }, { opacity: 0.25, duration: 1 })
      .to("#gDSPolyTitle", 2, {
        x: 50,
        opacity: 1,
        delay: 1,
        ease: "back",
      });

thanks

Ravi.  

See the Pen LYxMOeq by ravivariar (@ravivariar) on CodePen

While child elements don’t inherit their parent element’s opacity, they are affected by it. If a parent has an opacity less than 1, the child’s appearance (even though its opacity is 1) has a new maximum opacity of the parent. The child can be made to appear more transparent but not more opaque. If you need elements to have different opacity values while maintaining full opacity on at least one of them,  they have to be at similar DOM depths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ravi Variar said:

Thanks Shaun,  this is the behavior that I saw during experimentation,  I could go lower than the parent opacity.  Unfortunately if I keep at same level then the grouping is lost.    Is there any other property that can be used?  I have tried visibility, autoAlpha etc.  while keeping the hierarchy looks like all of them can only go to the parent level.  I thought visibility gets over-ridden but somehow hiding the parent the child does not get shown.  Not able to use that either.  Appreciate your message Thanks, 

21 hours ago, Ravi Variar said:

t3.fromTo("#divsvg", { opacity: 1 }, { opacity: 0.25, duration: 1 }) .to("#gDSPolyTitle", 2, { x:

Yes thanks,  I can only use visibility and completely hide at the group or div level.  this the child can override and be visible.  

I have one SVG that is a software architecture diagram with different groups containing rectangle, text, arrows, circles.  I am animating this using GSAP and adding audio at appropriate intervals.  So,  if for example SVG becomes Opacity 1 initially the child elements of one group need to be displayed one by one (with narration, still working on audio linking).   During animation if a sub-group has to brought upfront the others opacity reduction will provide appropriate focus.  I do not know how to use RGBA   thanks