Search Community

ImageLoader component like UILoader compenent

billions test
Moderator Tag

Is it possible to have ImageLoader as a component that can be placed on the flash scene and manipulated graphically (i.e. dragging around) at design time or does ImageLoader only allow instance creation through as3?

ps: I'm completely new to as3 and flash (kind of rolled into it) but Greensock really made things easy for me :)

Hi,

ImageLoader is just an AS3 object that handles the loading and display of images. We haven't built any interface components for it.

Its definitely possible that someone could build the type of component that you describe, so perhaps there is one out there already.  

Obviously to use ImageLoader will take some knowledge of AS3, but really not that much.

I think you'll find that once you have loaded a few images, its pretty easy.

Perhaps these tutorials will help you get started:

http://www.snorkl.tv/2011/07/loadermax-vs-native-as3-loader-exhibit-a/

http://www.snorkl.tv/2011/08/loading-images-with-loadermax-load-and-track-the-progress-of-multiple-images/

Did I perhaps fail to explain this problem properly? I just cannot believe that such a simple thing would not exist. Surely, I must be overlooking something obvious here? :)

After all, UILoader component allows designers to visualize the containers for the dynamic data that will be loaded and something like hus *must* exist for ImageLoader, too?

You can certainly drop a MovieClip or Sprite onto the stage and define that as the "container" of the ImageLoader, sure. You'd need to set the width and height accordingly as well. But please keep in mind that the LoaderMax system is not intended to be a GUI. One of the reasons it is so small and efficient is because it doesn't have all the extra baggage of supporting a GUI. UILoader is quite bulky and [last time I checked] has some relatively serious bugs. 

In general, GreenSock tools are built primarily for developers, although a ton of designers like them too because they're pretty easy to pick up. But we're not aiming to be a drag-and-drop, baked-into-the-IDE toolset.