Search Community

Prev/Next Controls for Simple Seamless Loop

clayteller test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Toso,

Hi, I used @Carl's excellent code for creating a seamless loop to create a nice "testimonial slider" section on my websites. Now I'd like to update it with some prev/next controls so visitors can jump ahead or back through the testimonials.

Maybe I didn't search hard enough, but i couldn't find an instance of the seamless loop code I'm using where someone has modified it to do this.

I did find this related post GSAP Slider/Carousel, Next and Previous Buttons, but the approach there seems different enough from my current code that I'm reluctant to completely overhaul what I have.

Before I do an overhaul, anyone know of a "simple" update to my current seamless loop code to add prev/next functionality?

My code: 

Thanks for your help!

See the Pen gOmBGEG by clayteller (@clayteller) on CodePen

Thanks @Toso that's a good suggestion, but I'm not a great coder and I'm doubtful about my ability to customize that seamlessLoop helper function to animate the way my current code loop is, with the vertical fading in and out of elements.

I guess in my mind seems easier to "add" prev/next functionality to my current code (since the animation actually works exaclty like I want) than restarting with a new set of code.

I wish I was better at javascript and GSAP to know which is the smartest route to go.

• Solution

here is a quick one you can add any effect you want or play with the other options,

just 5-10 min to take a look at the seamlessloop documentation and you're ready 

See the Pen RwOpyVX?editors=0011 by ahmed-attia (@ahmed-attia) on CodePen

you can check Carl's courses here and GSAP3 Express is free by the way 

https://www.creativecodingclub.com/bundles/creative-coding-club

https://www.creativecodingclub.com/courses/FreeGSAP3Express

• Like 3

I've tried but can't figure out how to change the animation of the helper function to fade elements in when they enter the viewable area and fade them out when they exit the viewable area. 

I found this part of the code but my attempts to add "opacity" tweens there aren't working.

tl.to(item, {yPercent: snap((curY - distanceToLoop) / heights[i] * 100), duration: distanceToLoop / pixelsPerSecond}, 0)
            .fromTo(item, {opacity: 0, yPercent: snap((curY - distanceToLoop + totalHeight) / heights[i] * 100)}, {opacity: 1, yPercent: yPercents[i], duration: (curY - distanceToLoop + totalHeight - curY) / pixelsPerSecond, immediateRender: false}, distanceToLoop / pixelsPerSecond)

The helper function offers config options but I don't understand how I can config the animation in the way I want using those.

I do understand the code I've been using to perform this animation

tl.from( rotatingItems, {
		y:        70,
		duration: transitionTime,
		opacity:  0,
		stagger: {
			each:        staggerTime,
			repeat:      -1,
			repeatDelay: repeatDelay,
		},
	} );

tl.to( rotatingItems, {
		y:        -70,
		duration: transitionTime,
		opacity:  0,
		stagger: {
			each:        staggerTime,
			repeat:      -1,
			repeatDelay: repeatDelay,
		},
	}, staggerTime );

but I don't understand how I can customize the helper function code to do this kind of animation

@GreenSock I really appreciate you taking time to tweak the helper function. I just can't get it to work with the animation effect I'm going for.  I need the elements to be "overlapped" to achieve the effect (see attached screenshot) and I can't figure out how to use translate or negative margin with the enterAnimation and leaveAnimation functions.

Tbh I really thought it would be possible to add prev/next controls to the code I was already using, which already has the animation just like I want. I was hoping I'd post on here and someone smarter than me  would look at my original code pen and say yeah it's simple, you just need to use the seek() or tweenTo() method (or some such) to move the playhead to the previous or next element, and then I would be able to figure it out from there.

I attempted to do that (in my code pen below) and almost have prev/next working like I want, but I think my approach must be flawed. Seems to work for a few clicks and then inevitably fails.

Anyways, I appreciate the help. I'll keep at it—bound to get it eventually.

Edit: Hmm my code pen isn't showing, but it's the same one in my original post.

fade-out-fade-in.jpg

• 3 weeks later...