Search Community

GSAP Angular problems : properties of undefined

Zaelos test
Moderator Tag

Hello, I'm having an issue with GSAP. First and foremost, I'm using Angular for my project. In my project, I have a router, meaning that my page calls other pages dynamically like this:

<app-nav-bar></app-nav-bar>

<div class="router-outlet" [@activation]="burgerMenuIsOpen">
    <router-outlet></router-outlet>
</div>

<app-footer></app-footer>

Once this is done within <router-outlet></router-outlet>, there is my 'home-page' which looks like this:

<section>
    <div class="magicText">
        @for( spanText of textSplit; track spanText ){
                <span>{{spanText}}</span>
            }

</div>
</section>

In my TypeScript component hosting my code, it is like this:

import { Component, AfterViewInit} from '@angular/core';
import { gsap } from "gsap";
import { ScrollTrigger } from "gsap/ScrollTrigger";
gsap.registerPlugin(ScrollTrigger);

@Component({
  selector: 'app-home-page',
  templateUrl: './home-page.component.html',
  styleUrls: ['./home-page.component.css']
})
export class HomePageComponent implements AfterViewInit {

text: string = 'Json Server' 
textSplit: string[] = this.text.split('').map(
    valeur => valeur === ' ' ? '\u00A0' : valeur // espace ? oui alors \u00A0 sinon garde t'as valeur
  );
  timeline = gsap.timeline();// on initialise GASP
  constructor() { }
ngAfterViewInit() {
    this.timeline.from("span", { // on va cherche les span
      y: -500, //on set les paramètres de GASP ici on déplace en dehors de la vue
      opacity: 0, // ici on les rends transparent
      scrollTrigger : {
        trigger: "section",
        pin: true,
        scrub:1,
      },
      stagger: {
        amount: 1
      }
    })
  }
}

So this creates a <span>$aLetter</span> for the inserted word, then we apply a GSAP animation on it, but I get this error: twice.

ERROR TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'querySelectorAll')
    at toArray (g:/www/ProjetPortfolio/PortFolioFront/node_modules/gsap/gsap-core.js:667:173)
    at Tween2 (g:/www/ProjetPortfolio/PortFolioFront/node_modules/gsap/gsap-core.js:3195:128)
    at _createTweenType2 (g:/www/ProjetPortfolio/PortFolioFront/node_modules/gsap/gsap-core.js:633:10)
    at Timeline2.from2 (g:/www/ProjetPortfolio/PortFolioFront/node_modules/gsap/gsap-core.js:2048:5)
    at _HomePageComponent.magicianisation (g:/www/ProjetPortfolio/PortFolioFront/src/app/pages/home-page/home-page.component.ts:30:17)
    at _HomePageComponent.ngAfterViewInit (g:/www/ProjetPortfolio/PortFolioFront/src/app/pages/home-page/home-page.component.ts:50:8)
    at callHookInternal (g:/www/ProjetPortfolio/PortFolioFront/node_modules/@angular/core/fesm2022/core.mjs:6117:14)
    at callHook (g:/www/ProjetPortfolio/PortFolioFront/node_modules/@angular/core/fesm2022/core.mjs:6144:13)
    at callHooks (g:/www/ProjetPortfolio/PortFolioFront/node_modules/@angular/core/fesm2022/core.mjs:6099:17)
    at executeInitAndCheckHooks (g:/www/ProjetPortfolio/PortFolioFront/node_modules/@angular/core/fesm2022/core.mjs:6049:9)

I've been working on this for 2 days, and it's becoming quite challenging. ^^ Thanks again for your help.

Tested solutions:

• Used a counter in the for loop to control the loop's end, then used a function for my GSAP (same infinite error repeating).
  • Placed my GSAP function at the end of my HTML code (same infinite error).
  • Tried using ["span", undefined].filter(function(el) { return el!=null}) instead of just "span" in my GSAP.
  • Put it inside an ngOnInit().

That error indicates that when you're trying to animate something and using selector text for the target, the "document" is not even defined. Are you using server-side rendering or something like that? If this is running only inside a browser, it's difficult for me to understand how it could throw that error. If you'd like more help, please provide a minimal demo in Stackblitz or CodeSandbox or CodePen and we'd be happy to take a look. No need to include your whole project - just the simplest possible way to reproduce that error is best (use some colored <div> elements or something). 

It's not that it's incompatible - you should probably just run the animation code on the client side, that's all. In other words, it's a total waste to try to animate things that don't exist in the DOM (yet). Wait until the document is defined, then animate things. 

So, I've solved the problem:
the SSR was indeed the issue, so I created a service:
platform.service
to call it whenever I need it:

constructor(
  @Inject(PLATFORM_ID)
  private platformId: Object
) { }

isOnVue(): boolean {
  return isPlatformBrowser(this.platformId);
}

isOnServ(): boolean {