Search Community

Get y/x values relative to the stage

Jannik test
Moderator Tag

Hi all.

Working in Adobe Animate with GSAP.

For a project, I have created a circle as a movieclip ("disk1"). Within "disk1", I have 2 dots called "area1" and "area2". "Disk1" is rotating.

What I want, is to get the changing x and y values of "area1" and "area2" - but I'm only able to get the values from within "area1" and "area2" themselves, so the value is static and doesn't change when disk is spinning.

Anyone have a solution for this - how can I get the x and y values relative to the stage?

Thanks!

Skærmbillede 2024-02-11 kl. 09.14.14.png

Hi @Jannik welcome to the forum!

Maybe https://gsap.com/docs/v3/Plugins/MotionPathPlugin/static.convertCoordinates() can help, but hard to say without a minimal demo. Also can you explain the problem you're trying to solve instead of the solution you're thinking of? Please also include a demo of your current setup so that we can dive directly in to the code. Hope it helps and happy tweening! 

See the Pen aYYOdN by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 1

I suspect the MotionPathPlugin.convertCoordinates() won't work because that's for DOM elements whereas if I remember correctly, Adobe Animate uses <canvas> (well, EaselJS which is <canvas>-based), right? This isn't really a GSAP question - I think you'll need to seek out that answer from the Adobe community because it's about their tooling. Please do let us know if you find an answer, though. 

On 2/11/2024 at 11:03 AM, mvaneijgen said:

Thanks for getting back. I understand that this might not be the right forum. Sorry for taking your time.

Hi @Jannik welcome to the forum!

Maybe https://gsap.com/docs/v3/Plugins/MotionPathPlugin/static.convertCoordinates() can help, but hard to say without a minimal demo. Also can you explain the problem you're trying to solve instead of the solution you're thinking of? Please also include a demo of your current setup so that we can dive directly in to the code. Hope it helps and happy tweening!