Search Community

Trim Paths / Offset clone in GSAP

teknolyfe test
Moderator Tag

Hi all-

Hoping everyone can help me out. I'm trying to mimic the same animation concept of trim path/offset in After Effects using DrawSVG. The basic "chase" concept seems to be fine in the Codepen example, but I need to get the offset working where the path continues to flow as if the line was continuing. Any ideas?

Attached MP4 from After Effects of the idea.

See the Pen qBvJBML by teknolyfe (@teknolyfe) on CodePen

Edited by teknolyfe
Added example file

Hi @teknolyfe welcome to the forum!

I would have a tween that runs initially, that then called another tween when it is done and repeats infinitely. In your initial demo nothing was visible, so I used my own shape to get things up and running. The timing could be better for the initial load, but that is easy to tweak.  Hope it helps and happy tweening! 

See the Pen OJqBPVb?editors=0010 by mvaneijgen (@mvaneijgen) on CodePen

• Like 2

Thanks mvaneijgen,

But not sure how that's similar to what I'm looking for. Did you watch the MP4 vid I attached soon after?

Even from an example of a straight line, it would be like drawing 50% of it, and then somehow moving that drawn portion to the right along the same path essentially.

Then I'm unsure what the question is.

To me you want to animate the stroke-dashoffset of an SVG shape. In the video you shared I see a path being drawn from nothing (eg 0%) and then keep going in the same direction at a steady length, in my demo 10% of the overal length of the path. 

Maybe you can describe what you want and what it is doing right now using the following format 

• A clear description of the expected result - "I am expecting the purple div to spin 360degrees"
  • A clear description of the issue -  "the purple div only spins 90deg"

🤷