Search Community

Planning to build a Parallax Tour and Travels Website

dawoodtrumboo test
Moderator Tag

Hi Everyone,
I recently recieved a project for a tour and travels website. I was scrolling through many design and thought of creating a parallax website with 3D models, but I haven't created any up until now. So I needed some suggestions on how to start and where to get the resources.
Also, will there be any performance issues when hosting the website. (Website is not Dynamic, More like a Gallery type for an agency). 

How do I optimize the performance of the website while building it?

What thinks should I be aware of?
Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thank You.

Howdy! 

We really try to keep these forums focused on GSAP-specific questions. We just don't have the resources to field general consulting questions, logic issues, performance audits, strategizing, etc. But here are some performance tips just in case they're helpful: 

1. Try setting will-change: transform on the CSS of your moving elements. 
  2. Make sure you're animating transforms (like x, y) instead of layout-affecting properties like top/left. 
  3. Definitely avoid using CSS filters or things like blend modes. Those are crazy expensive for browsers to render.
  4. Be very careful about using loading="lazy" on images because it forces the browser to load, process, rasterize and render images WHILE you're scrolling which is not good for performance. 
  5. Make sure you're not doing things on scroll that'd actually change/animate the size of the page itself (like animating the height property of an element in the document flow)
  6. Minimize the area of change. Imagine drawing a rectangle around the total area that pixels change on each tick - the bigger that rectangle, the harder it is on the browser to render. Again, this has nothing to do with GSAP - it's purely about graphics rendering in the browser. So be strategic about how you build your animations and try to keep the areas of change as small as you can.
  7. If you're animating individual parts of SVG graphics, that can be expensive for the browser to render. SVGs have to fabricate every pixel dynamically using math. If it's a static SVG that you're just moving around (the whole thing), that's fine - the browser can rasterize it and just shove those pixels around...but if the guts of an SVG is changing, that's a very different story. 
  8. data-lag is a rather expensive effect, FYI. Of course we optimize it as much as possible but the very nature of it is highly dynamic and requires a certain amount of processing to handle correctly.
  9. I'd recommend strategically disabling certain effects/animations and then reload it on your laptop and just see what difference it makes (if any). 

Ultimately there's no silver bullet, like "enable this one property and magically make a super complex, graphics-heavy site run perfectly smoothly even on 8 year old phones" :)

I hope this helps! And if you have any GSAP-specific questions, feel free to post them here.