Search Community

Radial background changing (like a clock) with GSAP and ScrollTrigger

maxwo test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by mvaneijgen,

Hi, 
I would like to make an animation on scroll but I have no idea how I can achieve this animation.

So I am writing to this forum to get a tip on how to approach this animation. Once I've implemented it, I'll be happy to share the code in this post. 

So what I would like to achieve is changing the background color of a div with a radial animation like in the pictures attached. The new color will expand from the center to 360 degrees, like a clock. 
Does someone have an idea how this could be done?

radia-bg-change.jpg

• Solution

Hi @maxwo welcome to the forum!

Usually we ask for a minimal demo, if anyone who comes to the forums will just start listing a bunch of requirements there would be a lot of work for us and that is not something we can provide on these free forums! Having a minimal demo, even a not working one, will save us a lot of work and shows us you're willing to put in some effort to fix your own issue. That effort goes a long way on this forum! Keep that in mind for next time 😉

That said I'd set something up for my self creating this exact effect. You could do this of course in multiple ways, but check out the css conic-gradient() (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/gradient/conic-gradient)

I'd just created the gradient I want and set up a CSS variable I will tween, in this case the degree of the gradient from 0deg to 360deg.

If you're new to GSAP check out this awesome getting started guide https://gsap.com/resources/get-started/

Hope it helps and happy tweening! 

See the Pen bGzwzYV by mvaneijgen (@mvaneijgen) on CodePen

• Like 2

Hey @mvaneijgen 
Thanks for your hint with the conic-gradient! I wasn't aware that this existed. Great!

I didn't know the best way to start this animation, so I didn't have a demo.

I am aware that ideally I always have a first draft on Codepen. And will keep it in mind for next time. I also will share my scrollable version here when it is ready! Thanks!