Search Community

Wrong version error on club install with npm

TimTh test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by TimTh,

Hi All -

I’m trying to install GSAP into my react/nextjs project and getting the following "wrong version number" error:

$ npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/shockingly
npm ERR! code EPROTO
npm ERR! syscall write
npm ERR! errno EPROTO
npm ERR! request to https://npm.greensock.com/@gsap%2fshockingly failed, reason: write EPROTO C8A30000:error:0A00010B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number:c:\ws\deps\openssl\openssl\ssl\record\ssl3_record.c:355:
npm ERR!

I’m following the instructions for Club GSAP & Netlify, since I eventually want to deploy there, but can’t even get the install to go in my local environment.

I created the .npmrc file at the root of my project using a freshly generated token:

always-auth=true
@gsap:registry=https://npm.greensock.com
//npm.greensock.com/:_authToken=${myAuthToken}

And I’ve tried to install with both /business and /shockingly and get the same error for both.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks very much!

Thank you for looking into this, Rodrigo. Unfortunately, I can't get it to install in my local environment as a first step, so I haven't even tried to deploy to Netlify yet. I do understand I need to add an environment variable when I do, though.

Ahh... OK so that's the issue here!

First when you create your project, create your .npmrc file and add your token to it (DO NOT PUSH THIS FILE TO YOUR REPO YET!!!). It should look like this:

always-auth=true
//npm.greensock.com/:_authToken=your-token-here

Then install GSAP with the bonus stuff running:

npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/shockingly

Once the installation of GSAP is successful, change your .npmrc file to this:

always-auth=true
//npm.greensock.com/:_authToken=${myAuthToken}

Now is safe to push that file to your repo. Remember never push that file while it still has your token. Then create your Netlify project and setup an environmental variable:

Ooi9C7N.pngNow it should work as you expect.

Hopefully this helps.

Happy Tweening!

• Like 1

Hi Rodrigo - Unfortunately these steps still give me the same error. Here's what I did:

1) npx create-next-app@latest my-app --typescript --tailwind --eslint

2) created .npmrc file in the root of the new project

3) generated a fresh auth token and pasted it into .npmrc according to the first code example you provided above

4) npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/shockingly

---> Fails with the error message above

Any further suggestions? Thanks for your continued help, I'd love to use the club stuff for my project!

Hi,

I just created a new project using the command line you posted and using a valid token I was able to install the GSAP bonus package.

Just two things left to test:

1. Create a regular project. Create a folder with any name (is 100% irrelevant), then run this on the terminal:
    npm init -y

Then create the .npmrc file with your token and install GSAP Shockingly.

2. If #1 doesn't work the only guess is that you have a token that is no longer valid installed globally on your system. To check that run the npm config command npm config list, you should get a result similar to this:

rodrigo@Rodrigo:~$ npm config list
    ; "user" config from /home/rodrigo/.npmrc

//registry.npmjs.org/:_authToken = (protected) 

; node bin location = /home/rodrigo/.nvm/versions/node/v18.15.0/bin/node
    ; node version = v18.15.0
    ; npm local prefix = /home/rodrigo
    ; npm version = 9.5.0
    ; cwd = /home/rodrigo
    ; HOME = /home/rodrigo
    ; Run `npm config ls -l` to show all defaults.

That first line gives you the route to your global .npmrc file. Open it with your text editor and see if you can find a GSAP token there and compare it with the one in your dashboard. If you have a different one, update it and save the file, then try the empty folder approach in #1.

Unfortunately beyond this suggestions I have no idea what else could be wrong TBH, this is the last arrow in my quiver.

Hopefully this helps.

Happy Tweening!

• Like 1

Hi Rodrigo - 

Thanks for sticking with me. I checked my global npmrc file with 

npm config -g edit

and didn't see any gsap auth token. Wouldn't a project-level npmrc file override it anyway?

I'll try the npm init -y option tomorrow and let you know. 

Hello @TimTh

The error that you're getting is strange - reminds me of an error from NodeJs version 8. Can you check which version of nodejs you are using (node -v)?

Alternatively, you could also run this command to configure the token:
```
npm config set @gsap:registry https://npm.greensock.com

npm config set //npm.greensock.com/:_authToken xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx

```

Make sure to replace `xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx` with your token.

Then running $npm i @gsap/shockingly should work 👍

• Like 1

Hi Prasanna & Rodrigo 

Prasanna, thanks for jumping in. I am running node 18.18.2, which I believe is the latest. Good suggestion though - it was one of the first things I checked before my original post. 

I also tried your config commands and it still failed with the same error, but did raise a question. The auth token I am using is really long compared to the placeholder in your code. It's xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx not xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx. I'm guessing you were just using shorthand and that's not the issue, but had to check as a long shot. I am cutting and pasting right from the GSAP page.

Rodrigo, I also tried your init -y suggestion, with no luck. Thanks for throwing up ideas, for sure!

At this point, I'm wondering if it is account-specific issue? I've tried the install on a couple different machines, so it may not be machine specific. Should I get a different gsap account and try with that?

Or I could send you a zoom invitation and share screens to make sure I'm not doing something boneheaded...

I sincerely appreciate both of you!

• Solution

To close out this thread for future reference, it turns out that my anti-malware software, Malwarebytes, was preventing the install from reaching the auth server. Turning it off temporarily allowed for successful installation. Also, installing from the zip files worked as well, as long as I made sure my github repo was private so as not to expose the club files. 

I'd like to give a huge shoutout to Rodrigo for amazing support. He was super proactive in helping me through the troubleshooting process over a period of several days. It was clear he really cared that I found a solution. I feel like GSAP's community support is way better than a lot of the paid support one gets with other types of software. Love it.

I'd also like to thank Prasanna for going above and beyond to help me make sure it wasn't just some simple mistake I was making. Thank you both! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TimTh said:

I'd like to give a huge shoutout to Rodrigo for amazing support. He was super proactive in helping me through the troubleshooting process over a period of several days. It was clear he really cared that I found a solution. I feel like GSAP's community support is way better than a lot of the paid support one gets with other types of software. Love it.

Aw, that's so nice to hear @TimTh. Made my morning for sure. 💚 Thanks for being a supporter. We couldn't deliver these tools or the support without Club GSAP members like you.