Search Community

HELP! Rolling Text Animation

Yuvraj Chavan test
Moderator Tag

Hello everyone! I'm new to gsap or code but I have decided to get started with gsap animations. I just made a rolling text animation like the video below in after effects and I would love to explore how can I implement this using gsap or code to use in webflow.

Please have a look at the video and let me know how can I make rolling text animation like this. Thank you!

We love helping with GSAP-related questions, but unfortunately we just don't have the resources to provide free general consulting, or "how do I recreate this cool effect?" tutorials. Of course anyone else is welcome to post an answer if they'd like - we just want to manage expectations.  

What have you tried already? We love to see minimal demo's, that way we can see your thought process and thus better help you. Try creating a minimal demo of what you're trying to do, this has two benefits. First this allows you to experiment and try out new ideas. By making it simple people usually solve 90% of their own bugs. Second, you have an easy version you can share in which anyone could edit and modify the code.

You are welcome to post in the "Jobs & Freelance" forum for paid consulting, or contact us directly. 

Otherwise, if you've got a GSAP-specific question just post that here along with a minimal demo and we'd be happy to take a look. 

I'd recommend investing in a Club GreenSock membership so you have access to SplitText. Makes this animation fairly easy.

1. Split into chars.
  2. Grab the innerText and place it into 2 identical divs in each char div
  3. Set parent char div overflow to hidden
  4. Move the clone yPercent -100 or 100 depending on odd/even in the array
  5. Animate the 2 child divs yPercent +=100 or -=100 again depending on odd/even in the array
  6. Set tween repeat to your liking
  7. Place the tweens on a parent timeline (optional) and animate the progress

Each column is its own tween so you can randomize or offset the times a bit if you need a more organic feel. Always lots of options with GSAP. 

See the Pen ZEmOKvP by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

Happy tweening.

:) 

• Like 9

• 8 months later...
On 6/21/2023 at 7:21 PM, Carl said:

I was so impressed by this technique I created a simplified demo to illustrate how just one letter's animation works.

I thought for sure each character would have been duplicated multiple times.

Great job @PointC!

@PointC If i want to do this , but infinite without an end ?

Without a minimal demo, it's very difficult to troubleshoot; the issue could be caused by CSS, markup, a third party library, a 3rd party script, etc. Would you please provide a very simple CodePen or Stackblitz that illustrates the issue? 

Please don't include your whole project. Just some colored <div> elements and the GSAP code is best. See if you can recreate the issue with as few dependencies as possible. Start minimal and then incrementally add code bit by bit until it breaks. Usually people solve their own issues during this process! If not, at least we have a reduced test case which greatly increases your chances of getting a relevant answer.

See the Pen aYYOdN by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

that loads all the plugins. Just click "fork" at the bottom right and make your minimal demo

Using a framework/library like React, Vue, Next, etc.? 

CodePen isn't always ideal for these tools, so here are some Stackblitz starter templates that you can fork and import the gsap-trial NPM package for using any of the bonus plugins: 

Please share the StackBlitz link directly to the file in question (where you've put the GSAP code) so we don't need to hunt through all the files. 

Once we see an isolated demo, we'll do our best to jump in and help with your GSAP-specific questions. 

5 hours ago, AntonioNB4 said:

If i want to do this , but infinite without an end ?

Something like this:

const tween = gsap.to(boxes, {yPercent:-50, repeat:-1, ease:"none"});
tween.timeScale(0);

const eased = gsap.to(tween, {timeScale:1.5, duration:4, ease:"power4.in"});

Happy Tweening!

• Like 1