Search Community

VideoLoader Closed Captioning

RedGiant test
Moderator Tag

Is there a component available that can handle captioning for the VideoLoader content? Flash's FLVPlaybackCaptioning was an option, but it seems to require a FLVPlayback player. Now that I have gotten a taste of VideoLoader, FLVPlayback can't be considered an option anymore.

Ha ha - I don't blame you for wanting to avoid the built-in Adobe stuff :) Nice to hear you're enjoying VideoLoader. Unfortunately, though, there aren't any built-in closed captioning capabilities. You could, however, use cue points (either embedded in your video or added via addASCuePoint()) to trigger your closed captioning and build a custom implementation. One of the nice things about VideoLoader is that it is literally about 1/5th the size of Adobe's FLVPlayback component so you're not forced to pay a high price for it, but there are of course trade-offs. The more features that get crammed in there, the more things can get bloated. Since closed captioning isn't a very common requirement and since it doesn't really need any special hooks into VideoLoader, it wasn't included. Cue points should give you what you need. Heck, you could use XMLLoader to load an XML file that contains all your time/captions data and then loop through it and leverage addASCuePoint() to wire it up to a VideoLoader and build your own UI. See what I mean?

Definitely see what you mean. I already have the XMLLoader at work, throwing it a little bit more work shouldn't hurt it. 75% of me wanted to find a plugin, while the rest was wanting to code something of my own. This will be a nice chance to explore more into CuePoints in AS3. Thanks for the advice. Maybe if I get this optimized & slimmed down enough, I can put it up for a tutorial.