Search Community

I need ShockinglyGreen Club GreenSock for it's extra plugins, and I'm wondering how exactly license work.

artyor test
Moderator Tag

Hi,

2 hours ago, artyor said:

Can I use one ShockinglyGreen licencees for different projects and different clients? Or do I need business club for that?

Indeed, you can create as many projects as you want as a freelancer and charge by project or by hour (that's up to you) to your clients. There is no limit in the amount of projects you make. The only constraint is that those websites/apps can't charge users for visit/view/use their content. If one of your clients wants to use GSAP in a project and that project then charges users a fee, then your client (not you) has to purchase a business license for the number of developers that will be working with GSAP.

When do you need a business license? If you create a product using GSAP and you sell that to a lot of people, like a template that uses GSAP animations. Also if there are more than one developer using GSAP in projects at an agency or startup, then you need a business license for the amount of developers using GSAP. GreenSock's entire business model relies on the honor system. We aim to extend respect to our users, trusting that it'll be reciprocated.

Also is worth mentioning that what you get with your Club GreenSock membership is a full year of updates in every bonus plugin. After that year every single project that you created will still work (GreenSock doesn't include phone home code in the bonus plugins that will stop working when the license expires), your clients won't be able to update to the latest versions of the bonus plugins but everything will keep working without any issues.

Hopefully this clear things up. Let us know if you have more questions.

Happy Tweening!

8 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

If one of your clients wants to use GSAP in a project and that project then charges users a fee, then your client (not you) has to purchase a business license for the number of developers that will be working with GSAP.

Just a minor correction - in that case either you or your client can get the Business Green license. As long as one of you has the proper license for that project, it's fine. If you have a Business Green license, you can use GreenSock technology in an unlimited number of projects regardless of how many customers are charged any fees. The only caveat is that if your client wants to make edits to the project that uses GreenSock technology on their own, they should get their own license. Otherwise, it'd be easy for a company to circumvent the license by hiring a single freelancer to start a project (for example), and then take it in house and have their team of hundreds of developers finish it, piggy-backing on the freelancer's 1-developer license rather than getting the proper license for the number of developers they have. See what I mean? 

I think you’ll find that the membership pays for itself literally in one project when you consider all the time it’ll save, the added capabilities and performance you get...and of course that sense of having animation superpowers is priceless 🙂