Search Community

SmoothScroller and Sidebar

GRG test
Moderator Tag

Hello :)

I am trying to create a SmoothScroller content page that also has a SmoothScroller sidebar. 

So far in my tinkering, it seems that when SmoothScroller is initialized it creates one scroll element that is active on the whole page and limits all other instances.

Smooth Scroller even seems to censor any other regular non-SmoothScroller scrolling element. 

Is it possible to create this?

Thank You!

Frame 1.jpg

Hi,

Yeah I don't know how feasible is to have two different ScrollSmoother instances at the same time. My guess is no, but I'll ping @GreenSock so he can clarify the subject.

ScrollSmoother works with the native scroll bar from the body element (that's why is recommended that the content should be inside the body tag) and you have a very intricate setup with quite a few Flex elements with flex grow applied to them which makes their heights 100% of the view port, hence there is no native scroll on the body element.

If you want a fixed sidebar on your site, you should follow the recommendations of the  ScrollSmoother docs for setting up your code:

<body>
  <div id="smooth-wrapper">
    <div id="smooth-content">
      <!--- ALL YOUR CONTENT HERE --->
    </div>
  </div>
  <!-- position: fixed elements can go outside --->
</body>

I think that unfortunately you can have a ScrollSmoother instance in your content but not on your sidebar. That depends on what Jack has to say about multiple ScrollSmoother instances in a single page.

Please stand by.

Happy Tweening!

1 minute ago, GRG said:

I assume that it would not be feasible to have SmoothScroll sidebar and then a normal scroll content section? - or vise-versa 

It is possible. As mentioned before, just set one of them to be inside the Smooth Container element and the other as a direct child of the body tag with a position fixed applied to it:

<body>
  <div id="smooth-wrapper">
    <div id="smooth-content">
      <!--- ALL YOUR CONTENT HERE --->
    </div>
  </div>
  <!-- position: fixed elements can go outside --->
</body>

If you ask me I'd go with the content as the ScrollSmoother child and keep the sidebar as a normal scroll or you can use a third party scroll plugin just for that.

Happy Tweening!