Search Community

Not sure if GSAP animation are causing my fan to kick in

Lee Marshall test
Moderator Tag

Hi, I have created a website for a client where the designer has included a splattering of small SVG animation using GASP. What I have noticed, and not sure if it is even related to the site, but the fan on my mac seems to be constantly on. Would GSAP animation cause real issues with multiple animation on the page, and is there a way to test if the site is overdoing it?

Many thanks

Hi Lee! It's super difficult to troubleshoot blind. GSAP itself is almost surely not the problem. In the vast majority of cases, GSAP accounts for less than 1-2% of the load related to the animations - the rest is browser graphics rendering, event processing, layout, etc. (all unrelated to GSAP). Performance audits are very involved. There are many, many factors involved. Overall, try to keep the area of change small so the browser doesn't need to do a lot of work. And SVG can be CPU-intensive to render, depending on exactly what/how you're animating. 

If you still need help, it'd be best to post a link and/or you can start a thread in the "Jobs & Freelance" forum to see if you can hire someone on a paid basis to do a performance audit.