Search Community

Scrolltrigger image sequence changes frames without scroll interaction

andoivrjrev test
Moderator Tag

Hey,

I have a little problem with my on scroll image sequence. I am quite sure it has nothing to do directly with Scrolltrigger, but maybe someone had an issue like this in the past and can give me a hint.

The image sequence works perfectly on desktop, but there is an issue at iPad and iPhone. At first the sequence works well also but if you stop scrolling (and I mean really stop, so the scrollbar is absolutely still) - sometimes the sequence jumps back like 45 frames after a while.

Has somebody ever seen something like this?

Thank you guys!

That sounds like the side effect of the viewport height changing when the address bar shows/hides on mobile devices. By default, ScrollTrigger calls its refresh() method as soon as scrolling stops so that the start/end positions are re-calculated (hence the jump). Otherwise, they'd be inaccurate. So this isn't a bug or anything - it's a logic issue related to the viewport resizing. Your options are: 

1. Prevent the browser from resizing. See the helper functions page.
  2. Configure ScrollTrigger so that it doesn't .refresh() on resize events. See https://greensock.com/docs/v3/Plugins/ScrollTrigger/static.config() but remember that means things may end up triggering at the wrong places after resize. You could only run that .config() call if it's a mobile device so that desktops don't get affected. 

Exciting news: the next release has a brand new feature aimed at addressing this kind of situation with an unconventional (but seemingly effective) approach. Stay tuned. :)