duplicateMovieClip/tween

Pique test
Moderator Tag

Hey Everyone,

I have a mc (rocket_puff) inside another mc (rocket) that tweens on rollover

this.rocket.onRollOver = puff;
function puff ()
{
TweenMax.to(rocket.rocket_puff, 5, {_y:"-155", _x:"100", _yscale:300, _xscale:300, _alpha:0, ease:Linear.easeNone});
}

On rollover i want to duplicate/add another "rocket_puff" while the original one is still tweening. So everytime you rollover, another puff is added and tweened.

I tried both of the "duplicateMovieClip" clips...

function puff ()
{
TweenMax.to(rocket.rocket_puff_1, 5, {_y:"-155", _x:"100", _yscale:300, _xscale:300, _alpha:0, ease:Linear.easeNone});
i = i + 1;
duplicateMovieClip (rocket.rocket_puff_1, "puff" + i, i);
//duplicateMovieClip("rocket.rocket_puff_1", new_object, iCount + 1);
}

They kinda work but adds the extra mc wherever the current one is.

Any suggestions?

Wouldn't you just duplicateMovieClip() first and then tween that new (duplicated) MovieClip instead of the other way around? That way the original always stays put. If that's not what you want, then just explicitly set the _x and _y properties after you duplicate it.

Sounded like a good idea at first but it didn't work.

function puff ()
{
i = i + 1;
//duplicateMovieClip("rocket.rocket_puff_1", new_object, iCount + 1);
TweenMax.to(rocket.rocket_puff_1, 5, {_y:"-155", _x:"100", _yscale:300, _xscale:300, _alpha:0, ease:Linear.easeNone});
}

...quick question about the duplicate snippet...

which one of these methods is better?

i = i + 1;
or
duplicateMovieClip("rocket.rocket_puff_1", new_object, iCount + 1);

I tried with both and it still does the same thing.

So, while the original mc is tweening, the new one (duplicated mc) is placed along the path of the tween and stays put where ever the original was at the time of duplication. When you rollover again, the duplicated one just jumps to the originals current location on the tween path again and just stays put again. So only one mc is being added.

Looks like it's because you're always tweening the same (original) one instead of the new one.

function puff ()
{
  i = i + 1;
  var puff:MovieClip = rocket.rocket_puff_1.duplicateMovieClip ("puff" + i, i);
  TweenMax.to(puff, 5, {_y:"-155", _x:"100", _yscale:300, _xscale:300, _alpha:0, ease:Linear.easeNone});
}

Oh, I thought that's exactly what you wanted.

So you want there to be no puff, then on rollover a puff appears and animates? If so, you could just set _visible to false on your original.

rocket.rocket_puff_1._visible = false;
function puff ():Void {
  i = i + 1;
  puff._visible = true;
  TweenMax.to(puff, 5, {_y:"-155", _x:"100", _yscale:300, _xscale:300, _alpha:0, ease:Linear.easeNone});
}

Right, but i want a new puff to appear every time you rollover, without the other puffs going away until they finish animating. So essentially if you rollover 5 times, there would be 5 puffs animating.

Ummm....right....isn't that exactly what that code does? Well, it doesn't get rid of it after animating, but that's as simple as using an onComplete to removeMovieClip(). Or am I missing something?

Yeah, I'm as confused as you are. I thought you wanted it to keep duplicating the original each time you rolled over, and the puff would start at the same spot as the original and animate from there. I just tested my code and it worked exactly as you described (or as I interpreted it at least). Could you post a super simple example FLA that demonstrates the issue and maybe describe in a little more detail what's supposed to happen? Sorry if I'm being totally thick-skulled but I'm pretty sure that what I provided does precisely what you asked for.

Oh, you just forgot to set your "i" variable initially (I thought you had done that already outside your function).

var i:Number = 10;
rocket.rocket_puff_1._visible = false;
function puff ():Void {
  i = i + 1;
  puff._visible = true;
}

Oh i see. Didn't think I needed that part since "i" was already delacred. Cool works fine now.

Now I just need to figure out how to make the remove the 'mc' from the stage after the tween is complete, because if the alpha was 100 instead of 0 in the tween you'll notice that the 'mc's' are actually still on the stage stacking up.

But... many thanks for your help!

Pique