Search Community

Draggable Throw with Inertia Velocity

pdub888 test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

I am building a rotating circle which you can "throw" by dragging. It has snap points as well.

I have set the throwResistance down very low.

This works great in desktop as you have enough drag distance with the mouse to really spin the sucker.

Unfortunately, it's tougher to do in mobile - one swipe may only move it one section over.

Is there a way, besides setting throwResistance down which I already did ( from 1000 ), to get the speed of the initial throw to increase?

function setUpDrag(){

gsap.set("#wheel", {transformOrigin:"50% 50%"});
		// 16 sections - 360/16 = 22.5
		let rotationSnap = 22.5;

const draggable = Draggable.create("#wheel", {
			type: "rotation",
			inertia: true,
			throwResistance:10,
			snap:(endValue)=>{
				return Math.round(endValue / rotationSnap) * rotationSnap;
			},
			onDrag: ()=> {
			},
			onDragEnd : ()=>{
			},
			onThrowComplete: ()=>{
			}
		});
	}

• Solution

I'm a bit fuzzy on what you're asking here - so if I press my finger in the middle of the blue section, for example, and I start moving...are you saying that you want it to spin FASTER than my finger is actually moving? I checked your demo on my iPhone and it seemed to work perfectly so I must be missing something. 

If you want it to move faster than the person's finger is moving, I suppose you could use an invisible proxy element that sits on top of it and then in an onDrag/onThrowUpdate you could apply the rotation to the "real" element with a multiplier. 

• Like 1

"If you want it to move faster than the person's finger is moving, I suppose you could use an invisible proxy element that sits on top of it and then in an onDrag/onThrowUpdate you could apply the rotation to the "real" element with a multiplier. "

Yes sir, that was mostly it.

So because the image has to fill so much width on mobile, it's tougher to spin as far bc of it's size.

BUT, on mobile if you create a proxy element that is a smaller width ( wisely suggested by Jack ), and give it opacity:0 ( or in my pen, opacity .1 so you can see what's happening ) it's easier to get moving quickly.

If you want it to move faster than the person's finger is moving, I suppose you could use an invisible proxy element that sits on top of it and then in an onDrag/onThrowUpdate you could apply the rotation to the "real" element with a multiplier. 

Thank you.

See the Pen zYPBBJY by pwhittemore (@pwhittemore) on CodePen

• Like 1