Search Community

Possible bug in MotionPathPlugin

DrX test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

I'm using a long, long, long, path. It is drawn in dark red on the codepen.

The final two figures (ip = 998, 999) do not line up on the path. I expected them to fit into the final two spaces along that path. Instead they show up at the origin of the svg i.e. in the top left corner.

The second last one (ip = 998) eventually moves on to the path as the animation gets underway. This suggests the problem is related to position values close to 1.0

Is this a known issue / limitation? Is there a workaround? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Two more things: (1) I am really enjoying using gsap - thanks for making it. (2) Is there any way to articulate the little male figure's arms? I'd love for him to be able to wave them up and down.

See the Pen jOGpMRb by Dr-X (@Dr-X) on CodePen

• Solution

Great catch! Sorry about that - it's a super rare edge case, but it should be resolved in the next release which you can preview (minified) at https://assets.codepen.io/16327/MotionPathPlugin.min.js

Here's a fork where that's the only thing I changed (the URL in the <script>): 

See the Pen XWeBRJa?editors=1000 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Better? 

4 hours ago, DrX said:

Is there any way to articulate the little male figure's arms? I'd love for him to be able to wave them up and down.

Sure, I can think of two ways: 

1. separate the arms from the rest of the artwork, then set their transformOrigins so that it's on the right pivot point (on the body) and animate the rotation back and forth (you could yoyo: true). 
  2. Set up a "before" and "after" shape (where the arms are down, and then another where they're up), and then use MorphSVGPlugin to morph between those shapes. Note: MorphSVGPlugin is a membership benefit of Club GreenSock
4 hours ago, DrX said:

I am really enjoying using gsap - thanks for making it.

🎉  So happy to hear that! You're very welcome. 

• Like 2