Search Community

MotionBlur in Flex 4

TripleToe test
Moderator Tag

I 'm trying to use the MotionBlur plugin in a Flex 4 application. The component that I'm trying to apply the motionblur to is a SkinnableComponent which is parented by a Group. When I run the motionBlur, I get this error:

Error: addChildAt() is not available in this class. Instead, use addElementAt() or modify the skin, if you have one.
at spark.components::Group/addChildAt()[E]
at com.greensock.plugins::MotionBlurPlugin/set changeFactor()[/src/com/greensock/plugins/MotionBlurPlugin.as]
at com.greensock::TweenMax/renderTime()[/src/com/greensock/TweenMax.as]
at com.greensock::TimelineMax/renderTime()[/src/com/greensock/TimelineMax.as]
at com.greensock.core::SimpleTimeline/renderTime()[/src/com/greensock/core/SimpleTimeline.as]
at com.greensock::TweenLite$/updateAll()[/src/com/greensock/TweenLite.as]

This is obviously because the motionBlur plugin is working with Sprites and Display objects and it seems to be conflicting with the way that Flex 4 handles the parenting of items in the displaylist (ie using addElement rather than addChild). Is there a way around this? Will motionBlur be updated to work with Flex 4?

Ah, the joys of working with Flex. Sorry, I just find it incredibly cumbersome and annoying. Adobe decided to switch things up yet again in Flex 4 by imposing an addElement() instead of addChild(). I'm on a family vacation at the moment but when I return next week I'll add more conditional logic in MotionBlurPlugin to accommodate the new Flex 4 API. In the mean time, feel free to make the necessary change to the plugin yourself if you prefer. Thanks for your patience.