Search Community

Sticky fading banner help

cbozero test
Moderator Tag

Hello everyone,

I have just discovered ScrollTrigger and have done a couple of beginner tutorials. It's great! My main goal for now is to create a sticky banner bar with some text and a button that fades in/out as I scroll. What I am going for can be seen at this link. Do you have any guidance or tutorials that would help me get started in the right direction to achieving this result?

Thanks!

The logic in the nav looks be listening to whether the user is scrolling up or down and hiding or showing the nav accordingly. So this is a little different to most of the scrollTrigger demos you'll see.

You can listen for scroll direction with scrollTrigger though. Something like this would be a good start.

ScrollTrigger.create({
  trigger: "body", // the main scrolling element
  start: 0, // start at top
  end: "max", // end at bottom
  onUpdate: self => {
    console.log("direction:", self.direction);
    // custom logic to handle the nav animation
  }
});

Why don't you put together a minimal demo - give it a go! we'll be here if you get stuck.

Thanks, I have been learning more and have achieved a similar result to the Rothy's lander, but not quite as good. Their page transitions the animations seamlessly as content continues behind. 

Here is what I have so far!

I still have to try tinkering with your suggestion as well.

See the Pen rNwNgXL by cboaty (@cboaty) on CodePen

• Like 1

Ah! Apologies.

I thought you were talking about the nav as you mentioned 'sticky' - Ignore that previous advice.

This banner doesn't have to be pinned - you could position them all fixed at the bottom and then flip between them onToggle.

Take a look at this solution -

See the Pen qBjOrjK by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Happy to talk through any of it if you have questions ☺️

• Like 3

Great!

Could you explain what you're trying to achieve by making it scrub with scroll? What are you expecting the result to be?

* Currently you can't really 'scrub' as the animations are just being triggered as the sections are 'toggled' i.e. entering and leaving.