Search Community

Prevent scrolling horizontal before ScrollTrigger

oldskool123 test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Hi guys!

I'm new here at GSAP and love it but been struggling with the horizontal scroll a bit in Safari. Couldn't find the right forum for my problem so I'll try here instead.
When scrolling sideways in the first and last container I want to prevent/ disable the scroll, and only make it possible to scroll horizontal when the user is in the middle container. I think it's because of the width in the middle container but how can I solve it? The problem is in all screen sizes and want it responsive. Seems to be working in Chrome but not Safari.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers from Sweden

Skärmavbild 2020-12-07 kl. 20.08.21.png

See the Pen qBaNRgq by oldskool123 (@oldskool123) on CodePen

Hey oldskool123 and welcome to the GreenSock forums. Very peculiar bug! It definitely seems like something is going wrong in Safari. I am able to prevent the horizontal scrolling in Safari by applying 

html { overflow-x: hidden; }

However, this seems to completely break scrolling once the container is pinned! We'll investigate to see if we can work around this bug somehow.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that's not a bug with ScrollTrigger or anything - it's just some quirks in the way various browsers handle overflow and whether they scroll on the body or html element. This seemed to work for me: 

html {
	overflow-y: scroll;
	height: 100%;
	-webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch;
	overflow-scrolling: touch;
}
body {
	overflow-y: visible;
	position: relative;
}
html, body {
	overflow-x: hidden;
	margin: 0;
}

And @ZachSaucier, the reason vertical scrolling stopped when you just applied overflow-x: hidden to the html element had to do with the fact that when the super-wide element was pinned (and thus position: fixed), it was  obscuring the scrollbar on the <body>. Pretty weird, I know. But the goal of the CSS above is to make the html element be the one that's scrolling instead of the <body> so that position: fixed is incorporated into that rather than sitting on top of the <body> scroller. Does that make sense (sorta)? 

This may be helpful: https://teamtreehouse.com/community/overflow-hidden-not-working-in-ios-safari

• Like 1