Search Community

How to restart a timeline based on scroll position

Alex Goh test
Moderator Tag

Hi, I'm using GSAP with ScrollMagic; animates according to scroll position.

My site is a single page app where:

1. Page A: has GSAP animation integrated with ScrollMagic; when user scrolls vertically from 0px to 100px, an image will enlarge to 2x at 100px scroll position.
  2. Page B: has no GSAP.

When user scrolls vertically to say 100px, the image enlarged to 2x, then user clicks to navigate from Page A to B , i have to kill all events listening to prevent unintentional firing of Page A's event, and that include stopping all GSAP timeline/tween (via ScrollMagic's Controller.destroy())

The issue is: When user goes back to Page A, I re-init the GSAP timeline/tween. The vertical scroll position on Page A is now at 0px, but the image is already at 2x. So when user scrolls to 100px, the image is enlarged 4x (2*2).

Hence, my question is how to reset GSAP timeline/tween to the point where scroll position is 0px and where image size should be 1x and not enlarged to 2x?

Hey Alex and welcome to the GreenSock forums. Thanks for supporting GreenSock with a Shockingly Green membership!

We do not recommend ScrollMagic. ScrollTrigger is the official GSAP scroll plugin and it's better in every way!

10 hours ago, Alex Goh said:

an image will enlarge to 2x

In general it's best to avoid scaling above 1. So it might look better if you scaled from 0.5 to 1 and sized the image properly to accomodate.

10 hours ago, Alex Goh said:

how to reset GSAP timeline/tween to the point where scroll position is 0px and where image size should be 1x

There are multiple methods to do this:

• When changing the page, use clearProps to clear away all inline styles that GSAP set.
  • When changing the page, do .progress(0) on the animation(s) that you need to reset.

And others depending on your setup. If you'd like additional help please create a minimal demo of the situation as this thread discusses.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Zach. ScrollTrigger is indeed more powerful than coupling with ScrollMagic!

One more question... when a scroll animation (with scrub) ended, how do i prevent the animation from reversing when user scroll back that triggers onEnterBack?