Search Community

9-slice scaling and parameters

Chris G test
Moderator Tag

Hello all,

I've run into a curious issue when using TweenMax to tween the height of a panel in a current project.

Here's what I'm doing:

var panel:MovieClip = commonElementsPage.panelSwf.content.panelInstance;
var textHeight:int = transitioningPage.mainHeading.height + transitioningPage.bodyCopy.height;
TweenMax.to(panel, SiteSettings.BASIC_TIME_UNIT, {height:textHeight, onComplete:fadeInText});

the panel variable refers to a 9-slice scaling enabled MovieClip on the stage of a loaded swf.

If I do the following the panel scales using the 9-slice scaling as expected:

TweenMax.to(panel, SiteSettings.BASIC_TIME_UNIT, {height:400, onComplete:fadeInText});

but when I pass a reference instead of a value, the 9-slice scaling ceases working:

TweenMax.to(panel, SiteSettings.BASIC_TIME_UNIT, {height:textHeight, onComplete:fadeInText});

Has anyone come across this before?

Many Thanks

Have you used trace() to verify that your "textHeight" value is what you're expecting? Trust me - TweenMax doesn't care where the value came from. It doesn't handle things differently based on whether you used a variable to pass the value or just did it directly. I suspect there's just an issue with the code that sets your variable value in the first place.

If you still think there's a problem with TweenMax, please post an FLA that demonstrates the issue and we'll take a peek.

Thanks for the speedy reply, the reference traced as expected.

Turns out that the original 9-sliced MovieClip was created at 200px as it needed a large area to stay unscaled at the bottom of the panel. Therefore the scaling broke when passed a value of less than 200px. My test values were greater than 200px so there was no problem with them.

My apologies for casting doubt over the mighty TweenMax - it's never let me down yet!