Search Community

Google inspect animations

RobbieC test
Moderator Tag

I did some searching online before deciding to post the question here (had no luck searching).

My question is; is there anyway to Google Inspect JS based animations?

I've used Google inspect animation before in the past for CSS animations but when I tried to use it last night it seems its doesn't record the animation. I'm guessing because its a JS based animation.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I guess this would lead me into my next question, What do you guys use for debugging on your projects?

I assume you're talking about Chrome's Dev Tools, right? Yeah, that only works with CSS (and maybe WAAPI?) - I think it'd be impossible to do with JS-based animations since they're so much more flexible. 

What exactly do you want to accomplish in terms of "debugging"? You're a Shockingly Green member, so you already have access to GSDevTools which adds a scrubber to your animations, lets you speed up or slow down, isolate individual animations by ID, etc. Hopefully that'll give you what you need. 

Thanks for being a member!

• Like 1

Sorry I should of been more specific, yes Google Dev tools. 

I totally forgot about the GSDevtool, that looks awesome I’ll try it out tomorrow.

I do have some of my GSAP animations triggered with ScrollMagic, will I still be able to use GSDevTools correctly?

ScrollMagic isn't a GreenSock product, so I can't say for sure but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. 

Insider tip: we're working on a new tool for scroll-based animations (like ScrollMagic...but hopefully even better) :)  The goal is to launch within the next month. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GreenSock said:

The goal is to launch within the next month. 

That’s the best news ever!! I’m so excited, someone else had mentioned something was in the works on a different post I posted last week. I love your guys work, so I have no doubt it’s going to be an amazing tool!

As soon as you guys release it I’m going to rewrite my entire personal project! 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2020 at 6:44 PM, RobbieC said:

What do you guys use for debugging on your projects?

What is this debugging of which you speak? All my code works perfectly right out of the gate. ;)

Yeah, DevTools is great for scrubbing and fine tuning all those little details that happen too fast at regular speed.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PointC said:

All my code works perfectly right out of the gate.

Your a lucky man! My code is 100% ALWAYS the issue!

I guess the reason I said Google Dev tools is because before I started using GSAP I would use Dev tools to see the "timeline" of the animations and be able to fine tune them and have a visual timeline of when they are playing, order, etc.

I'm actually reading the docs for GSDevTools right now, we will see what happens - It looks like a fun tool.

I put my project on the back burners right now since i'm going to do away with ScrollMagic once you guys release your new tool and re-code everything accordingly. Which will most likely cut my js file in half, I have this feeling that i'm not coding my timelines/scrollmagic correctly.