Search Community

ScrollMagic section wipes but with fadein/fadeout

japortegijs test
Moderator Tag

Good afternoon,

I have a challenge and I can't seem to figure it out... I'm using ScrollMagic to create a Timeline a bit like https://scrollmagic.io/examples/advanced/section_wipes_manual.html. Except I'm trying to fade in and fade out my sections, the sections are stacked upon each other (position: absolute). The first section should be visible at the start, then fade out and the second section should fade in, etc, etc... The problem I'm running in right now is that section 2 and 3 start at te same time and not after each other. Could really use some help and an example would be great. I can't recreate my project on Codepen, because I'm using all sort of external plugins, like StimulusJS. But here's my code:

import { Controller } from 'stimulus';
import * as ScrollMagic from 'scrollmagic';
import { TweenMax, TimelineMax } from 'gsap';
import { ScrollMagicPluginGsap } from 'scrollmagic-plugin-gsap';

ScrollMagicPluginGsap(ScrollMagic, TweenMax, TimelineMax);

class SM extends Controller {
  connect() {
    const TWEEN_DURATION_PERCENTAGE = 4;

const controller = new ScrollMagic.Controller();

new ScrollMagic.Scene({
      triggerElement: this.containerTarget,
      triggerHook: 0,
      duration: this.containerTarget.offsetHeight * TWEEN_DURATION_PERCENTAGE,
    })
      .setPin(this.containerTarget)
      .addTo(controller);

this.sectionTargets.forEach((section, i) => {
      const animation = new TimelineMax()
        .to(section, 1, {
          opacity: i === 0 ? 1 : 0,
          delay: i * this.sectionTargets.length,
        })
        .to(section, 1, {
          opacity: i === 0 ? 0 : 1,
          delay: i * this.sectionTargets.length,
        });

new ScrollMagic.Scene({
        triggerElement: this.containerTarget,
        triggerHook: 0,
        offset: section.offsetHeight,
        duration: this.containerTarget.offsetHeight * TWEEN_DURATION_PERCENTAGE,
      })
        .setTween(animation)
        .addTo(controller);
    });
  }
}

SM.targets = [
  'container',
  'section',
];

export default SM;

I hope anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it!

Hey japortegijs and welcome to the GreenSock forums! 

ScrollMagic isn't a GreenSock product and we don't really recommend using it. In fact, GreenSock is developing its own scroll plugin! 

Until that gets released there are other work arounds though. Are you wanting the scroll position to fire the whole fade animation once it's reached or only as much as has been scrolled to thus far?

image.png.44211bc4f3a31276517fc5425b892d74.png

Maybe this helps a bit. I have one container which is 100vh. Once I reach this container it gets stuck and I can scroll within that. On scroll within that container I want the sections to appear one by one, based on scroll position. The sections are dynamic, so I can't hard code div#1, div#2, div#, etc..

1 minute ago, japortegijs said:

Will this help?

That answered my question, yes :) 

I don't think you should use any scrolling library. You're essentially wanting a slider functionality so I'd use an approach similar to this (obviously the way you're animating is different but the concept is the same): 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, japortegijs said:

the only issue I have now is that the second and third sections start at the same time... and not one after another...

That's a ScrollMagic issue, likely related to how the markers are positioned. But I can't help you there.

2 minutes ago, japortegijs said:

It's not really what I'm looking for..

It may not be what you're asking about but it is the core concept of how this behavior should be done if you ask me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, japortegijs said:

Any ETA of the scroll plugin?

It may not be available for another 3-6 weeks (no promises... we're still in the relatively early stages right now). 

3 minutes ago, japortegijs said:

And/or alpha/beta versions to play around with?

No public beta right now.

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2020 at 2:00 PM, japortegijs said:

Any ETA of the scroll plugin? And/or alpha/beta versions to play around with?

It's released now by the way :) 

6 hours ago, Jim Balbin said:

can I add nav and vertical dots to it?

Sure you can. We highly recommend using out ScrollTrigger plugin linked to above. You'd create the nav buttons and then animate the page to the correct scroll position based on which one is clicked. Similar to this example but slightly different since the elements are positioned absolutely:

See the Pen bGVjLwG by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Thanks for your reply, I am fascinated with your library. can you help me on how can I do it this way? scroll through the section and navigate my page before and after the scroll

Thanks! 

I use Elementor plugin in Wordpress

OnPaste.20200612-154241 (1).png

Thank you for your response and I hope not to bother you with my difficulties, I was watching and if it seems to be. The objective of my scroll slider is as follows:
When I get to the slider container, the user can see using the scroll with fade, dots or next navigation effects in 100vh without being interrupted by another container. When you reach the last slide, continue browsing the web. in the same way when returning to the first slider navigate the upper containers.

15 hours ago, Jim Balbin said:

When I get to the slider container, the user can see using the scroll with fade, dots or next navigation effects in 100vh without being interrupted by another container. When you reach the last slide, continue browsing the web. in the same way when returning to the first slider navigate the upper containers.

Locking people into one section (even if it's scrolling) is not great usability, I don't really recommend it. But you can do it with ScrollTrigger's pinning and a timeline animation that goes through each slide. Let us know if you have specific questions.

Thank you for supporting ZachSaucier. Look, I have run ScrollTrigger (in Swiper Slider), but I think I'm failing in the css. I am sending you a demo and below is another one made with ScrollMagic which is how I would like it to be applied in Swiper. Maybe using ScrollMagic if it can be done but I have trouble applying it.

The goal is As shown in Swiper Slider but to work as the ScrollMagic.

Demo http://gd-02.dhdinc.org/contacto/

Custom JS http://gd-02.dhdinc.org/wp-content/themes/manya/custom.js?ver=5.4.2 (line 70 - Swiper | line 390 - ScrollMagic)