Search Community

killChildTweensOf replacement

garyw test
Moderator Tag

I use killChildTweensOf in SPA web apps to make sure that all animations are terminated before swapping out a page. With GSAP 3, this method is gone. Is there a separate utility function that does this? I can't update to GSAP 3 without this function.

Oh sure, here's a function you can use that does exactly the same thing (but for GSAP 3):

function killChildTweensOf(parent, complete) {
	var parents = gsap.utils.toArray(parent),
		i = parents.length,
		_isDescendant = function(element) {
			while (element) {
				element = element.parentNode;
				if (element === parent) {
					return true;
				}
			}
		},
		j, tweens, targets;
	if (i > 1) {
		while (--i > -1) {
			killChildTweensOf(parents[i], complete);
		}
		return;
	}
	parent = parents[0];
	tweens = gsap.globalTimeline.getChildren(true, true, false);
	for (i = 0; i < tweens.length; i++) {
		targets = tweens[i].targets();
		j = targets.length;
		for (j = 0; j < targets.length; j++) {
			if (_isDescendant(targets[j])) {
				if (complete) {
					tweens[i].totalProgress(1);
				}
				tweens[i].kill();
			}
		}
	}
}

Is that what you need?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Maybe I missed it in the documentation, but was this ever added to the official GS codebase with a different function name, or do we still need to include this function to use it?

I know there is a killTweensOf, but it does not seem to propagate down to children. My goal being to call this on the master node of an SVG group and kill all children when reloading page sections.

I rather not include extra code, if a native function is already hiding somewhere in GS. 

4 hours ago, Calsa said:

I know there is a killTweensOf, but it does not seem to propagate down to children. My goal being to call this on the master node of an SVG group and kill all children when reloading page sections.

Correct - it is not supposed to find and kill all tweens of any descendant nodes. That is by design. 

4 hours ago, Calsa said:

was this ever added to the official GS codebase with a different function name, or do we still need to include this function to use it?

No, because one of the goals with GSAP 3 was to make it smaller and slice out some of the chunks of code that almost nobody used so that everyone can benefit. killChildTweensOf() is one of those methods, but as you can see above, it's quite easy for you to add the functionality yourself. In my opinion, that's a much better engineering decision because the 99.999% of users who never use it don't end up paying a kb tax for its inclusion, but people like you who really appreciate that functionality can just leverage an external function. 

Make sense? 

Good question, though. :)

• Like 2