Search Community

Canvas and morphSVG causing unexpected results.

elegantseagulls test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey fellow GSAP friends,

Having some inconsistency issues, and I'm not sure where they are stemming from when trying to use morphSVG in canvas. I've looked at @OSUblake, example, but even with his implementation cannot figure out what's up. I'm tweening the path as a variable object rather than a dom element. I imagine that's what's causing the issue, but why?

See codepen:

Thanks!

See the Pen OYYKON?editors=1010 by elegantseagulls (@elegantseagulls) on CodePen

That's because morphSVG assumes the target is an SVG <path>, but in your case you've got a generic object with a property named "morphSVG" that you're trying to have it animate. You've gotta tell MorphSVGPlugin that. Luckily in the latest version I did bake in an [undocumented] easy way to do that - just specify a "prop" like: 

.to(gulls, 1, { morphSVG: {shape:heart, prop:"morphSVG"} }, 0)

That should fix your demo, but if you want even better compatibility you could use the new "render" feature that points to a function that you can use like this: 

See the Pen 59a09cd93d50807d3e8861e90d19074e?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Some browsers don't recognize the Path2D() thing, but the render method I show above should work in every major browser and is likely a tad bit faster anyway. 

Does that help? 

• Like 3