Search Community

DrawSVG & MorphSVG Mask animation iOS issue

ceindeg test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm experiencing an issue with an SVG mask animation in iOS only. Happens in iOS Safari & Chrome.

I'm using the MorphSVG and Draw SVG plugins to create the animation (see codepen -sorry the html is a mess - it's generated dynamically so I've done a copy/paste)

On iOS the animation doesn't run at all, in fact nothing shows up. It works fine on Android, also works on all desktops and I'm totally baffled. Any ideas? 

image.png.cc112f63a7d5eaff3f26a5a53a221920.png

All help much appreciated!!

Thanks

Louisa

See the Pen GdWLxy by clkdigital (@clkdigital) on CodePen

I tried sending the "full page" view of your demo to my phone and got this warning: http://prntscr.com/jcdsx1

I think you should try testing the demo on your phone in "full page" or "debug" mode.

The codepen editor sometimes causes problems on mobile.

If the problem still persists, please try to reduce your demo to single tween on a single shape. It will be much easier for us to help you.

• Like 1

Hi @ceindeg :)

I can't test on iOS to see what you're seeing, but my guess would be that it's being fussy with drawing circles in the mask. One thing to try would be converting those circles to paths. You can do that in your vector software or the MorphSVG plugin has a convert to path method.

https://greensock.com/docs/Plugins/MorphSVGPlugin

Circles present some strange issues from time to time. We have a big circles thread that may also have some useful info for you.

Hopefully that helps. Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 2

@Carl thanks for pointing that out I didn't realise! I've now verified my email so it should work. 

@PointC

Thanks for the spot - I had included the MorphSVG code into my original code I just forgot to include it in my codepen.

I've now added to my codepen 

See the Pen GdWLxy by clkdigital (@clkdigital) on CodePen

but the problem persists. Even in full screen mode the charts don't render...

image.png.6786c6915f44332da03d6f3aa29bb5ec.png

o.k. -  i grabbed another iPad from someone else. This is a 3 and it's running iOS 10.3.3. The animation does not work on that one. 

My iPad 2 running iOS 9.3.3 is playing the animation. The old clunker with an outdated operating system works fine. Weird. :blink:

• Like 1

This has nothing to do with GSAP - it's a rendering issue with Safari. GSAP is setting all the values properly, but Safari is ignoring the updates and basically not drawing the revised graphics to the screen. To force Safari to redraw things properly, you can change the transform of the affected (masked) elements. It's like Safari says "oh, okay, something significant changed about this thing, so let me rasterize it again and redraw the pixels". In this case, it's the <g> elements. Even if you literally change x (or y or rotation or whatever) by 0.01, it'll trigger it. Here's a fork: 

See the Pen 44b8cb94f2be7e0e1e6110bca2c01d7a by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Does that help? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack that works like a charm!! Thank you so much. 

I already had a tiny rotation on the mask tween to fix an IE/Edge bug...

If only IE & Safari could use the same bug fixes that would make it easier!!

• Like 1