Search Community

Using a string for the tween object [SOLVED]

barryg test
Moderator Tag

You cannot tween a String - your code is literally trying to tween the word "myObject"'s alpha property :) I assume you're trying to tween the object that is named "myObject". Assuming your code is on a MovieClip, you could do something like:

tweenObject:String = "myObject";
TweenLite.to(this[tweenObject], 0.25, {alpha:0.7, ease:Quad.easeOut});

A mouse event handler is being called within a AS3 Class. A switch is performed on the target.name to determine the sprite that needs to be tween which is what I called the "tweenObject".

All my code takes place within a class. I have one method that is being called from the time-line where one or more jpg's are passed in as arguments.

My code works if the TweenLite.to(..) is added to each case within the switch.

I do not believe that "this" can be used.

Here's the method that I'm using

private function overThumbHandler(evt:MouseEvent):void
	{	
		switch (evt.target.name)
		{
			case "Thumb_1": TweenLite.to(loader1, 0.25, {alpha:1.0, ease:Quad.easeOut});	break;				
			case "Thumb_2": TweenLite.to(loader2, 0.25, {alpha:1.0, ease:Quad.easeOut});	break;
			case "Thumb_3": TweenLite.to(loader3, 0.25, {alpha:1.0, ease:Quad.easeOut});	break;
		}
	}

I would like to have the switch determine the target as a string within the switch logic and then have one tween below the switch.

Lots of ways you could handle this. What about using an Object as a lookup of sorts, like:

var loaders:Object = {Thumb_1:loader1, Thumb_2:loader2, Thumb_3:loader3};
private function overThumbHandler(evt:MouseEvent):void {   
     TweenLite.to(loaders[evt.target.name], 0.25, {alpha:1.0, ease:Quad.easeOut});           
}

Using a switch, A new object is created and being assign to the object that I want to tween, base upon evt:target.name. This new instance object is then being used as the target in the tween.

This fixed the problem that I was having trying to use the String directly in the tween.