Search Community

Saving resources

flashdev test
Moderator Tag

Hello, I'm trying to use a single tween, to tween a object sometimes.. I don't want create a TweenMax object every time, like TweenMax.to(...);

Whats the better way to do this? Is possible?

Something like this:

private var tween:TweenMax = new TweenMax(object, .6, {});

// Just a example, this will be active when the user click in a button
tween.to({x:20});

Thanks

Here is a demo of how how to do it

var t = TweenLite.to(mc, 1, {x:0, onComplete:reUseTween});

function reUseTween() {
t.invalidate()
t.vars.x = 500;
t.restart()
}

Admittedly, I don't know why or how this is needed in your project, but I'd be reluctant to suggest that this is better than just creating a new tween.

First of all, I applaud your efforts to improve performance even if it means writing more code. I'm a big performance freak, so I appreciate your goals here.

To answer your question, no, I don't think it's generally wise to put so much effort into reusing the same object. I've done some testing of my own and while it's wonderful to avoid garbage collection, there are costs involved with object reuse that people often ignore. Some people get so hyper-focused on object pooling and avoiding GC (in an effort to improve performance of course) that they don't consider the cost of cleaning those objects and they often end up getting worse performance. When I tried implementing some object pooling logic in the core, the engine actually performed slightly worse. 

Blog articles often make it sound like reusing objects is an obvious thing that everybody should do, but they're often working with theoretical or highly synthesized test cases, but then when you try doing it in real-world projects it's can be a very different thing. 

Feel free to do your own tests, but my guess is that you'll see either no performance benefit or you'll actually get slightly worse performance with the object reuse (at least in this case with tweens). 

First of all, I applaud your efforts to improve performance even if it means writing more code. I'm a big performance freak, so I appreciate your goals here.

rofl, this was funny!

Well Jack, I really don't need tests, I know your work and dedication on this platform for a long time now, your experience speaks for yourself.

Thanks for your time reporting your experience.