Search Community

Question: Tweening Opacity on IE9 & Windows 7

CB test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi guys,

I've been trying to use TweenLite to create some banner animations. And so far I have been successfully and they render pretty well across all my Mac browsers. However there is a big issue while testing the banners on IE9 running on Windows7 (It works fine on Safari and Firefox for Windows).

While trying to do an opacity/alpha tween from 0 to 1 IE9 does not render the tweening in / fading in animation. It just switches it on.

However when you fade out (Tween alpha/opacity from 1 to 0) the animation renders perfectly.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have even tried the banners that Randall kindly created ( Example: HTML Banner using Greensock JS Beta ) and they animated in the wrong way as well.

Thank you for your help.

I'm not aware of any opacity issues like that, but I'll definitely look into this as soon as I'm back from the Reasons to be Creative conference. I apologize for the delay. Please stand by...

No need to apologise! :-)

Thanks for your response, I discovered that the issue was the way I was writing the code:

If I write it like this

{css:{alpha:'1'}
or
{css:{alpha:'0'}
the opacity wouldn't go up. However, when the fade out was triggered it will go automatically to 1 to start decreasing.

If i wrote the code as

{css:{alpha:1}
or
{css:{alpha:0}
it worked fine.

Unfortunately now, when testing on IE9 the console gives me some errors such as

Script5022: exception thrown and not caught TweenLite.min.js, line 14 character 8866

I believe I have the latest version of your code...... Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...

I apologise for not having replied to you before.

I found what the error was.

The page where my JavaScript animation was being included was setting the IE9 mode to Quirks Mode.... That was the whole issue.

Unfortunately I wasn't aware of that after a whole weekend of trying to find a solution.

Once they set the document mode correctly, the animation was displayed correctly on IE9.

So Once again TweenLite proves to be flawless :)