Search Community

Licensing Confusion

kch test
Moderator Tag

Hello,I hope this message finds you well. I'm reaching out to clarify some questions regarding the GSAP business license.

I work as a developer at an agency, and we are currently in the process of developing an e-commerce website for a client. As part of the development, we plan to incorporate components from the GSAP library. These components will be accessible to the public users of the website.However, I am unsure whether acquiring a commercial license is necessary, particularly concerning the sale of tickets to multiple users. The content utilizing GSAP features will be freely accessible to the public.

Below are some details about the website:

1. It's a ticketing website for a zoo, offering zoo tickets, membership, hotel and restaurant bookings, meals, and various activities for all users. Essentially, it functions as an e-commerce platform with features such as shopping carts.

2. Users needs to buy a membership before logging into the membership portal but these pages don't use GSAP. 

3. Only certain content pages, such as the homepage and articles pages, will utilize GSAP.

Given these details, I would appreciate your guidance on whether obtaining a business license for GSAP is necessary in our scenario.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Thanks for checking, @kch

Yes, since parts of the web site itself that uses GSAP will only be available to paying members, that would require the special commercial license that comes with the "Business" Club GSAP membership. 

Basically, if you answer "yes" to any of the following, you'd need that special commercial license: 

• Do you have multiple developers that need access to the bonus plugins like SplitText, ScrollSmoother, MorphSVG, etc.?
  • Does your GSAP-enhanced website/game/product require the user to pay a fee to use? (like Netflix.com)
  • Are you selling a GSAP-enhanced product to multiple end users? (like a website template, theme or game)
  • Are you using GSAP in a game/app with optional paid features/upgrades?

If your website sells products that aren't GSAP-enhanced like clothing, widgets, food, etc., that doesn't require the commercial license. It only matters if the thing for which a fee is collected uses GSAP in some way. The standard "no charge" license even covers usage in projects where only a one-time development fee is charged, like an agency that's paid to build a fancy web site that's free for everyone to use.

We like to think that a Club GSAP membership pays for itself very quickly when you consider all the time it’ll save, the added capabilities that the bonus plugins deliver...and of course that sense of having animation superpowers is priceless 🙂

Thanks again for asking about this. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Thank you for replying! 

Actually, the parts of the website that uses GSAP are public and available for all visitors, not just for members. Those content only be available to paying members will not using GSAP. 

If this is the case, is a special commercial license still required?

If the web site uses GSAP, and at least parts of that web site are behind a paywall, it would technically be appropriate to get the special commercial license. That being said, our entire business model relies on the honor system and being supported by customers who see the value in what we provide. So if you're not using GSAP in any areas of the site that are behind a paywall and you don't think the value GSAP delivers is worth the membership fee, we're totally fine with you not joining Club GSAP. We're passionate about having happy customers around here 🙂

I hope the tools serve you well!