Search Community

Stopping a nested timeline

berilac test
Moderator Tag

Having a problem. I've tried to explain it within the following semi-pseudo code:

stop();

import com.greensock.*;
import com.greensock.easing.*;

var timeline:TimelineLite = new TimelineLite();

timeline.append(tweenlite(foo, $, {onComplete:newTl}));

function newTl():void{
var tlTwo:TimelineLite = new TimelineLite();

tlTwo.append(foo);
}

function Click(){
timeline.stop();	<-- THIS WORKS FINE
tlTwo.stop();		<-- THIS DOES NOT WORK
					--- CAUSES ERROR BECAUSE THE tlTwo IS DECLARED WITHIN
					--- A FUNCTION.
					---- IF I DECLARE IT AT TOP, tlTwo WILL BEGIN CALCULATING
					---- ON ENTER FRAME, AND NOT WHEN FUNCTION IS CALLED!
					---- IT WORKS BUT THIS IS UNDESIRABLE
}

This is the error (pretty self-explanatory):

"1120: Access of undefined property tlTwo"

- Source: tlTwo.stop();

Is this an AS3 issue or can I (for instance) prevent the timeline from immediately calculating with some of your code?

Thank you

The problem has to do with variable scope. Whenever you define a variable inside a function using "var ", that variable is ONLY available inside that function. It ceases to exist once that function finishes running. You can, however, define the variable as a class or instance property like you did with "timeline" in your example. Basically, define it outside your function. You can populate it inside your function though.

I believe I tried as you suggested, still using "var"...but declaring it at the same time as the main timeline.

I thought I explained myself better - When I did this, the tlTwo begins "calculating" immediately onEnterFrame, so when my appends are sent from the function, they don't start smoothly; they appear to start mid-tween.

I have currently solved this by utilising "tlTwo.currentProgress = 0" as the first line in my append function.

Is that the cleanest solution?

-- As an aside. Elsewhere in my code I have a TweenMax.allTo (not within a timeline) that calls an onComplete function.

-- I can see in some trace outputs that the function gets called for each mc I have in the allTo array.

--- Is there a way to have the function only called once? (Otherwise the only solution I see is to use a timeline, use allTo for all except one mc, and place a second TweenMax.to to do the last mc and the onComplete call... - This seems too complicated for your code though ;))

Thank you again

if you have your tlTwo defined outside any functions and paused, it might work. I haven't studied your code thoroughly.

var tlTwo:TimelineLite = new TimelineLite({paused:true});

as for why is seems that your timeline is skipping to mid tween, read GreenSock's first response in this thread as I believe it pertains to your situation:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3508&p=13627&hilit=rootTimeline#p13627

his second resonse here also seems express the same theory:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2276&p=8541&hilit=rootTimeline#p8541

-----

as for your allTo issue. use onCompleteAll. onCompleteAll will fire after all the allTo tweens have finished.... very handy.

http://www.greensock.com/as/docs/tween/ ... tml#allTo()