Search Community

Do I need a licence?

Marija1337 test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Hi!
Me and my bf recently started an interior design business and I'm making the website. I wanted to use gsap to bring some life into it.
The website will be publicly accessible to all and we don't sell anything directly through it - it's just there to give a presentation of our work and allow clients to contact us through form. Of course, interior design services we do for clients are paid.

Since this is technically 'commercial', but not in the way like I sell websites, do I need a licensed version or is the free one fine to use?

• Solution

Thanks for asking, @Marija1337

No, you don't need the special commercial license for that - the standard "no charge" license covers that type of usage.

If you answer "yes" to any of the following, you'd need the special commercial license that comes with "Business" Club GSAP memberships: 

• Do you have multiple developers that need access to the bonus plugins like SplitText, ScrollSmoother, MorphSVG, etc.?
  • Does your GSAP-enhanced website/game/product require the user to pay a fee to use? (like Netflix.com)
  • Are you selling a GSAP-enhanced product to multiple end users? (like a website template, theme or game)
  • Are you using GSAP in a game/app with optional paid features/upgrades?

If your website sells products that aren't GSAP-enhanced like clothing, widgets, food, etc., that doesn't require the commercial license. It only matters if the thing for which a fee is collected uses GSAP in some way. The standard "no charge" license even covers usage in projects where only a one-time development fee is charged, like an agency that's paid to build a fancy web site that's free for everyone to use.

So you should be all set with the free/public license. Enjoy the tools and good luck with the new business! 💚

• Thanks 1