Search Community

Horizontal slideshow, to instantly switch between slides at certain scroll positions

Boba test
Moderator Tag

How can I make it so, as user scrolls, it snaps on every "slide", so user can scroll only one by one panel, without skipping some if he scrolls harder? Thanks

Without a minimal demo, it's very difficult to troubleshoot; the issue could be caused by CSS, markup, a third party library, a 3rd party script, etc. Would you please provide a very simple CodePen or Stackblitz that illustrates the issue? 

Please don't include your whole project. Just some colored <div> elements and the GSAP code is best. See if you can recreate the issue with as few dependencies as possible. Start minimal and then incrementally add code bit by bit until it breaks. Usually people solve their own issues during this process! If not, at least we have a reduced test case which greatly increases your chances of getting a relevant answer.

See the Pen aYYOdN by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

that loads all the plugins. Just click "fork" at the bottom right and make your minimal demo

Using a framework/library like React, Vue, Next, etc.? 

CodePen isn't always ideal for these tools, so here are some Stackblitz starter templates that you can fork and import the gsap-trial NPM package for using any of the bonus plugins: 

Please share the StackBlitz link directly to the file in question (where you've put the GSAP code) so we don't need to hunt through all the files. 

Once we see an isolated demo, we'll do our best to jump in and help with your GSAP-specific questions. 

I am implementing one of the examples from the Scroll trigger documentation

See the Pen eYMQZax by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

In the example above, if user scrolls fast enough, he can get to the last panel in just one scroll. What I want to achieve is, not matter how fast user scrolls, the scroll always snaps on the next panels, so user does not skip any of the panels.

Thanks

Hi @Boba welcome to the forum!

Then you're looking for the  Observer plugin https://gsap.com/docs/v3/Plugins/Observer/ below an example from the docs it behaves like you're describing 

See the Pen XWzRraJ by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Personally I find that demo hard to understand, so here the same logic but with a timeline and labels, which allow you to manually define to which point each scroll should go with which interaction of the user

And here an example that mixes normal scroll with the Observer plugin

See the Pen oNQPLqJ by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Hope it helps and happy tweening! 

• Like 2

As with everything to do with GSAP, build an animation. When wanting to create a scrolling effect you frist have to remove the scrolling part and just focus on the animation you want to happen. If you're new to GSAP check out this awesome getting started guide https://gsap.com/resources/get-started/

A while back I've written a guide how to create a card stacking effect, but the logic you're looking for can also be build with it. Below a demo that has a horizontal animation, it is probably not 100% what you're looking for, but if you give it a go I think you'll be able to get it to do what you want with the resources provided. If you still need help please provide a minimal demo showing what you've tried your self and someone here will be happy to point you in the right direction. Happy tweening!

See the Pen poYzaJW by mvaneijgen (@mvaneijgen) on CodePen

• Like 3