Search Community

ScrollerTrigger inside a modal makes a pinned div jump around

didkumi test
Moderator Tag

Hello,

Fascinated by the library! but still a long ways to go.. 

For the first time, I am trying to implement a ScrollTrigger within a full page modal. (setting the scroller to the modal)

When I try to pin a div, it does not stay fixed but jumps around (then eventually sets up at the fixed position) when I scroll faster or even slower.

It's not visible everytime, but when you scroll up and down inside the demo, the left (pink) div jumps up and down trying to catch up with the pinned position  of the scroller.. I can see the markers move up and down as well because it's pinned to a nested div...

Would anyone know what is causing this behaviour and how to solve this? I would really appreciate it..

Thank you

See the Pen ExMNPmo by wonjiky (@wonjiky) on CodePen

Hi @didkumi

I've set pinType: "fixed" in your example, because I think that is fine in this scenario, but ScrollTrigger changes this if it see it is scrolling something else than the body. See below from the docs https://gsap.com/docs/v3/Plugins/ScrollTrigger/. Hope it helps and happy tweening! 

pinType

"fixed" | "transform" - by default, position: fixed is used for pinning only if the scroller is the <body>, otherwise transforms are used (because position: fixed won't work in various nested scenarios), but you can force ScrollTrigger to use position: fixed by setting pinType: "fixed". Typically this isn't necessary or helpful. Beware that if you set the CSS property will-change: transform, browsers treat it just like having a transform applied, breaking position: fixed elements (this is unrelated to ScrollTrigger/GSAP).

See the Pen vYPyGXN by mvaneijgen (@mvaneijgen) on CodePen

Hello @mvaneijgen

Thanks for your response. 

I also thought setting the pinType to "fixed" would solve the issue but then another problem (evident in your demo as well) arises:

• trigger marker is no longer triggered to the assigned container (fixed like scroller)
  • scrolling action does not work when the mouse is over the fixed (pinned) container

I could not figure out a workaround for neither of the preceding issues, especially the first since I want to add some animation in the pinned container with the triggers. Would you have an idea of a workaround?

Thank you

Hi,

I've been fiddling with your's and Mitchel's demos for a some time and can't seem to replicate any of the issues you posted in this thread, neither this

5 hours ago, didkumi said:

but when you scroll up and down inside the demo, the left (pink) div jumps up and down trying to catch up

Nor this:

3 hours ago, didkumi said:
  • trigger marker is no longer triggered to the assigned container (fixed like scroller)
  • scrolling action does not work when the mouse is over the fixed (pinned) container

I tested this on the latest chrome and firefox on Ubuntu 20 & 22. Maybe I'm missing something here 🤷‍♂️

Happy Tweening!

Hi @Rodrigo

Thank you for taking time to fiddle around with the demos.

On Mitchel's demo, if you have the cursor on the pink container and try to scroll, it won't scroll because it's fixed. Also, when you scroll (while having the cursor on the right grey container), the trigger marker does not scroll up with the top of the grey box but just remains fixed... which I guess means the scroll trigger is not correctly hooked up or is disconnected when pinType is set to 'fixed'. 

Hi,

Have you tried pinType: "transform" or pinnedContainer: ".modal" in your ScrollTrigger config. Either of that seems to fix this on the latest chrome and firefox:

See the Pen LYabygV by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Check the ScrollTrigger docs for more information about those config options:

https://gsap.com/docs/v3/Plugins/ScrollTrigger/#config-object

Hopefully this helps.

Happy Tweening!

• Like 1