Search Community

What is your preferred method of managing timelines?

Volf-000 test
Moderator Tag

I've just started working with GSAP, and so far have been managing timelines by "waterfalling" -- which is not 100% ideal for OA Banners that need a strict runtime of 15 seconds. (Going over that means a lot of manual re-refining, yuck).

I'm assuming that waterfalling could be good in other instances of web/graphics animation? (e.g. something short or really simple, something that will only happen once). I'm sure it has it's place somewhere.

Can it be possible to "stitch" together parts of an already-made timeline? I just want to know if there is a preferred timeline-algorithm for specific types of projects.

What have you tried already? We love to see minimal demo's, that way we can see your thought process and thus better help you understand the tools!

The beauty of GSAP is that you can build everything you like in what ever way you like. There is no specific way the tools force you to work. You can of course create a timeline and add all the tweens to that timeline, but that is just the bases. You can also create a function which returns a timeline and connect that to some other timeline check out nesting timelines https://gsap.com/docs/v3/GSAP/Timeline#nesting or the position parameter really powerful, have you worked with Stagger before? https://gsap.com/resources/getting-started/Staggers

If you feel you're doing something that could be more robust, there probably is an example on the docs or in the forum that shows you exactly how to do that, but without a minimal demo we can't really help you, so show us what you currently have, so that we can see what you're working with.

• Like 3