Search Community

Why semantic tags aren't used in OA Banner Development?

Volf-000 test
Moderator Tag

Apologies for the (dumb) question. I have a background in Frontend Web development, so when I first began investigating OA Banner code I was a bit puzzled to find divs everywhere. (For headings, for frames, for everything).

I'm aware that the screen reader situation is taken out of the equation, and I doubt search engines have any use to crawl through OA Banners.

But isn't it a bit trickier to work through, if everything is a div? Don't elements look the same if they're all written as divs? Is there a specific reason why everything in OA Banners are divs? (I've even noticed headings and paragraphs written as divs).

I'm just genuinely curious.

Hi @Volf-000 and welcome to the GSAP Forums!

I have zero experience with banners so I couldn't tell you. Maybe because banners are added through iframes and is better/safer that way? Honestly I can't think of a single reason why valid semantic HTML tags are not allowed/preferred when it comes to banner development.

Finally you posted this thread in the main GSAP forums, we have a dedicated Banner Animation forum as well, you want me to move the thread over there and see if you can get more specialized help on the subject?

Happy Tweening!

On 12/19/2023 at 9:32 PM, Rodrigo said:

Hi @Volf-000 and welcome to the GSAP Forums!

I have zero experience with banners so I couldn't tell you. Maybe because banners are added through iframes and is better/safer that way? Honestly I can't think of a single reason why valid semantic HTML tags are not allowed/preferred when it comes to banner development.

Finally you posted this thread in the main GSAP forums, we have a dedicated Banner Animation forum as well, you want me to move the thread over there and see if you can get more specialized help on the subject?

Happy Tweening!

Can you share the Banner Animation forum link? Thank you in advance :)

Edit: got my answer.

8 hours ago, SharonMcNamara said:

Can you share the Banner Animation forum link? Thank you in advance :)

This thread is already in the Banners Animation forum, you can go to the bottom of the page and you'll see a link that says: Go to topic listing, that will take you to the Banner Animation forum.

Also at the top of the page, to the left we have some very useful breadcrumbs links as well:

BYg1ihn.png

Happy Tweening!