Search Community

Text Carousel Flickering Issue

Sgt. Red Pepper test
Moderator Tag

Hello, 

I have been working on an animated, looping banner text carousel, and I have provided a slightly simplified code pen example. 

The animation seems to work smoothly, but is interrupted every so often by an inexplicable flicker. You may need to watch the loop quite a few times before this flickering occurs for you. 

I want to maintain document flow for my purposes so I'm adjusting the text display settings as part of the animation. I have a hunch that this might have something to do with the issue. 

I was hoping someone would be able to take a look at my animation and be able to help me resolve this. 

Thanks in advance. 

See the Pen wvRVPyP by gee_bee (@gee_bee) on CodePen

I observed the flickering you point to and noticed that it occurs randomly in terms of timeline repetitions, but definitely after a full timeline repetition has occurred — right before button 1 appears. I tried to use the property refreshOnRepeat: true and it seems this makes your animation work much better.

1 hour ago, valeriyruss said:

I observed the flickering you point to and noticed that it occurs randomly in terms of timeline repetitions, but definitely after a full timeline repetition has occurred — right before button 1 appears. I tried to use the property refreshOnRepeat: true and it seems this makes your animation work much better.

Thanks for the response, but this did not make a difference. 

34 minutes ago, Rodrigo said:

Hi,

Maybe you could try this approach by @Carl in order to create your seamless loop:

https://www.snorkl.tv/greensock-staggers-with-seamless-loops/

He even created a video explaining how everything works.

Hopefully this helps.

Happy Tweening!

Thanks for the reply. I had discovered this earlier, but I'm not sure this approach will work in my case since I am using the set method in my timeline.

10 minutes ago, GreenSock said:

I'm unable to see any flickering. Did you try clearing your cache? 

Cleared cache and hard reload, I'm still seeing the occasional flicker/stutters to the animation. 

Is it bad practice to adjust display properties with a set method within timelines? 

I want to avoid absolute positioning as there is additional content along with the message in the real life example. 

Sorry, I didn't have time previously to look at your code but now that I see it, I'd expect it to flash like that once in a while because you've got a .set() on your timeline that changes display to "none" at the very end, and when it repeats back to the beginning of course it gets set to "flex". So what would you expect to happen if the playhead landed EXACTLY at the very end? It'd render at display: none for one tick. See the issue? 

Remember that the playhead updates roughly 60 times per second in most browsers but exactly when each tick happens is really up to the device. GSAP is totally resolution-independent, meaning that it dynamically adjusts to ANY time (it's not as if there are just 60 static states that are allowed to exist on the timeline per second). That's why things seem "random" here - it's because the conditions have to be just right for the playhead to land PERFECTLY at the very end of that timeline. Normally it'd be a little be past the end which wraps around to a little bit past the beginning no a repeating timeline. 

I'm rather confused about why you even put that set() in there at the end. What's the purpose if you're infinitely repeating anyway? 

• Like 1