Search Community

LoaderMax not working in Safari?

scottwitte test
Moderator Tag

Jack,

I just found that when loading assets using LoaderMax they doesn't get cached... at least using Safari 5 in WinXP32. The files in the queue get downloaded, but when you go to use them they aren't in the cache and need to be downloaded again. This only happens in Safari.

The demo is here (Sorry. Link is no longer active). Every time you load the page all the files get downloaded again. This is even more obvious watching the network traffic using Windows Task Manager. ( to call up the task manager and select the Networking Tab.)

Testing this further I went to Apple.com, loaded the home page went to a couple others on the site, watched a video. You can see it all downloading using the networking tool. visit the same pages again and everything is in cache. There is no further downloading traffic.

This makes no sense.

Yeah, I think you're right - there's no browser-specific code in LoaderMax. If Safari acts differently, it is almost surely either a problem with Safari or the Flash Player that's running in Safari.

Just for kicks, though, I've got a few questions:

1) Are you using the latest version of LoaderMax? There was a Safari issue fixed a while back.

2) Are your loaders in a LoaderMax queue? Did you disable auditing with auditSize:false or by setting an estimatedBytes for each loader? (you are familiar with the double-load thing, right? http://www.greensock.com/loadermax-tips/#10)

3) Silly question, but you don't set noCache:true, right?

Jack,

1) I am using the library from 11/22, so not the most recent. Time to update.

2) Yes, I disabled auditSize. For my purpose here measuring progress was of no interest but getting started with the least delay was. As I understand it I won't get the "double-load thing" if auditSize:false. And if I did it wouldn't result in the total download every time you visit the page that I see.

3) Sillier things have happened. However, if I had set noCache:true I would see the same results in all browsers, not just Safari. And yes, I did check just to be absolutely sure.

Anyway, since I've now duplicated the issue on other Flash sites that have nothing to do with LoaderMax I don't think LoaderMax is the issue. For example, try downloading the same tour multiple time from here: http://krpano.com/examples/vtour/ You will see the same results.