Search Community

NextJS - registerPlugin(...) leading to "ReferenceError: document is not defined"

lrvaka test
Moderator Tag

Currently running NextJS 13.0.7 - trying to registerPlugin but I get the following error "ReferenceError: document is not defined". I have another project running 12.3.1 that allows me to registerPlugin. I've seen a few examples of registerPlugin being used in the forums on NextJS 13.0 so I'm unsure as to what is causing this problem exactly.

import { gsap } from "gsap";
import { DrawSVGPlugin } from "gsap/dist/DrawSVGPlugin";
import { SplitText } from "gsap/dist/SplitText";

gsap.registerPlugin(DrawSVGPlugin, SplitText);

export default function Home() {
return (
<>
<Head>
<title>Create Next App</title>
<meta name="description" content="Generated by create next app" />
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" />
<link rel="icon" href="/favicon.ico" />
</Head>
<Navbar />
<main>
<Hero />
<Projects />
<AboutUs />
<Services />
<CTA />
<WhyUs />
</main>
<Footer />
</>
);
}

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 12.46.23 AM.png

GSAP needs the document and window to be defined in order to function. It sounds like you've put your gsap.registerPlugin() in a place in your code where those things don't exist yet (server side rendering I assume). So just move the gsap.registerPlugin() to where you're sure those things will exist. For example, in a lifecycle method. I'm not familiar with Next, but basically wherever you've put your actual GSAP code, like gsap.to(...) - that's probably a safe place to do the registration. Just make sure you call the gsap.registerPlugin() before you actually create any tweens or split text, that's all. 

If you still have trouble, here's a Next starter template that you can fork on Stackblitz. 

Once we see an isolated demo, we'll do our best to jump in and help with your GSAP-specific questions. 

13 minutes ago, GSAP Helper said:

GSAP needs the document and window to be defined in order to function. It sounds like you've put your gsap.registerPlugin() in a place in your code where those things don't exist yet (server side rendering I assume). So just move the gsap.registerPlugin() to where you're sure those things will exist. For example, in a lifecycle method. I'm not familiar with Next, but basically wherever you've put your actual GSAP code, like gsap.to(...) - that's probably a safe place to do the registration. Just make sure you call the gsap.registerPlugin() before you actually create any tweens or split text, that's all. 

If you still have trouble, here's a Next starter template that you can fork on Stackblitz. 

Once we see an isolated demo, we'll do our best to jump in and help with your GSAP-specific questions. 

Thanks for the response - however I see that the starter templates that are referenced have the gsap.registerPlugin() not inside of a lifecycle method, but how I have it in my example - it seems that latest version of NextJS 13.0.7 breaks this 🤷‍♂️

Did you try putting it into a lifecycle method? Where's your GSAP code? I didn't see any in that excerpt you posted, so I'm curious why you're even importing/registering them there. 

Again, the issue here is that you're trying to register/use the plugins when there is no document defined yet and that obviously can't work. So I'd encourage you to find a way in Next.js to execute code AFTER the document exists, and just do your registration there. See what I mean? 

Thanks for being a Club GreenSock member! 💚

Hi,

Just check if the window object is defined so the registerPlugin method is executed on the client and not the server:

import gsap from "gsap/dist/gsap";
import { DrawSVGPlugin } from "gsap/dist/DrawSVGPlugin";
import { SplitText } from "gsap/dist/SplitText";

if (typeof window !== "undefined") {
  gsap.registerPlugin(DrawSVGPlugin, SplitText);
}

Happy Tweening!