Search Community

Big Tween, Slow Move

robertnyc test
Moderator Tag

I'm doing a rush project that involves importing some large AI files into flash and moving things around --

As you might suspect, these AI files lead to a gazillion little pieces in the movie clips.

Therefore, when I'm zoomin' and twistin' and scalin' the MC the performance is not as fast as I'd like.

The obvious answer would be to make a bitmap of the entire movieclip. But not wanting to rewrite chunks o' code I thought I'd ask:

is there any simpler way to speed things up when working with complex MCs? I thought I'd hit it with cacheAsBitmap but I read that a) TweenMax/Lite turns this off when tweening, and B) this can actually slow things down.

Any answers much appreciated

No no, TweenLite/Max doesn't turn cacheAsBitmap off while tweening. I've never heard that rumor before, but it's totally bogus.

cacheAsBitmap can be helpful in certain situations, but if you're scaling, it would force the bitmap to get recalculated constantly and wouldn't help (could hurt actually). You could, however, do it manually. Create a BitmapData that's the size of your object at its biggest point (like if you're scaling it to 2x somewhere, make sure the BitmapData is 2x your object's native size). Drop that BitmapData into a Bitmap and use THAT instead of your complex vector-based MovieClip. You might see some nice performance gains with this technique.