Search Community

Is there a bug with tweening text alpha? [SOLVED]

Dave Stewart test
Moderator Tag

I'm having problems with text suddenly jumping marginally (but noticeably) brighter at the end of tweens.

Try this:

1 - Create a new AS2 .fla

2 - set the background to black

3 - place a dynamic textfield on stage called tf, set its color to white, embed the fonts, and type some random text in

4 - place this code in the main timeline:

import gs.TweenLite;
tf._alpha = 0;
TweenLite.to(tf, 2, {autoAlpha:100})

5 - test the movie

Now, when the text field fades in, it suddenly jumps from grey to white, just before the end!

Does anyone know what I can do about this?

Thanks,

Dave

I just tried your test and it worked perfectly for me. Could you post an FLA that demonstrates the problem? There's really no code inside TweenLite that I can think of that could possibly cause behavior like that. It would just tween the _alpha value from 0 to 100. Do you maybe have some other conflicting tween where you set overwrite:false that's also trying to tween the _alpha of the same TextField at the same time? That could explain the behavior.

Hey Up,

Yeah - I pretty much thought that would be the case.

OK - I redid the test file, but this time had the text field anti-aliasing set to "anti-alias for animation" and everything was fine! It appears that anti-alias for readability" causes this problem. I guess I'll just have to change my text fields and see how this affects things.

Any further thoughts!?

Cheers,

Dave

OK, readable textfields with ani-alias for animation look ****!

So I've reverted to an old trick we used to use when I was in broadcast animation: Apply a 1px blur to the text.

It's too little to be visible, but enough to soften the pixels so when the moving element resolves *exactly* to the grid at the end of the animation, it doesn't suddenly become bright as the curves of the text snap to whole pixels.

EDIT - actually, just realised that this (the snapping) shouldn't affect non-moving text fields (my text fields in my final app are moving) but it also seems to do the trick.

Cheers,

Dave

• 11 months later...