Search Community

preloading a bunch of little videos in a home page

isaacalves test
Moderator Tag

Hello,

I'm working on a website where the home page has 7 videos, which are not supposed to be interactive (one cannot pause them for example), they're just part of the layout and have no sound, only video. they are small (in dimension and length) videos that loop forever. all videos sum 376kb, which is not nice, cause the user has to wait all videos to load to enter the website.

Since the videos are part of the layout , it wouldn't work to stream the videos .... but maybe that could be a solution if i could make the swf load a portion of each video, a portion that would be enough to play them without making them pause cause they were loading.... well i hope i'm being clear...

So... is that possible to do? are there any other solution? what is the "recommendation" in a situation like that ?

Thanks in advance!

You have several options:

1) Set bufferMode:true for each of your VideoLoaders so that their progress will be reported in terms of only their buffer, not their entire file download progress. Dump them into a LoaderMax and then when that fires its COMPLETE event, you're all set - you can show the user the interface while the rest downloads in the background.

2) You could create your VideoLoaders initially and immediately put them on the screen wherever you want and let the user see the screen/interface. No need to wait for them all to load - they'll pop into place as they're loaded. That's one of the nice things about VideoLoaders, ImageLoaders, and SWFLoaders - they immediately create the ContentDisplay object into which things are loaded so you can place them before you even start loading.

Thanks Jack !

The first solution you gave is quite interesting, i'll eventually try that.

I actually forgot to mark to get an e-mail notification, so I've already solved the problem...but your replies are always helpful anyways.

Well I did more or less what you wrote on the second option ... and in the place of the each video I put an image of the first frame of that video.

Cheers!