Search Community

Unable to move Line up or down

subvikr test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Cassie,

Hi, I am pretty new to greensock. I am trying to move a Line (svg) from up to down or viceversa. I am unable to do it. I can do it along the xaxis.No issues. I am also able to move any object up and down but not the line. I know i am doing something wrong but couldnt able to figure it out.

<body>

<svg width="1177" height="654" viewBox="0 0 1177 654" fill="none" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
    <line id="svg1" class="cone" x1="236" y1="186.5" x2="701" y2="186.5" stroke="black"  stroke-width="4.3"
    fill="none" />
</svg>

<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/gsap/3.9.1/gsap.min.js"></script>
<script>

gsap.to('#svg1', { duration: 3, y: '50%'});
</script>

• Solution

Hey @subvikr, welcome to the forums

If you check the console in this pen you'll see that the line has a height of 0,

You asking the line to animate by a percentage of it's own height. 50% of 0 is nothing, so it doesn't move at all ☺️ You can use y without a percentage value instead.

gsap.to('.shape', { duration: 3, y: 500 });

Also, it's worth nothing that you don't need to pass in a string for the value, you can use y:50 (animate 50 SVG units on the y axis) or yPercent: 50 (animate 50% of the elements height on the y axis) depending on what you're after.

See the Pen WNXQLeb?editors=1111 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cassie said:

Hey @subvikr, welcome to the forums

If you check the console in this pen you'll see that the line has a height of 0,

You asking the line to animate by a percentage of it's own height. 50% of 0 is nothing, so it doesn't move at all ☺️ You can use y without a percentage value instead.

gsap.to('.shape', { duration: 3, y: 500 });

Also, it's worth nothing that you don't need to pass in a string for the value, you can use y:50 (animate 50 SVG units on the y axis) or yPercent: 50 (animate 50% of the elements height on the y axis) depending on what you're after.

Thank you so much.Really appreciate your help.